Norte Dame on fire

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
According to the BBC authorities are now fairly confident the structure of the building and towers can be saved.
Listen, as for I physically saw visiting the cathedral, the towers, the main walls [and the treasure] are made of strong stone. More important is that the structures are not standing because of wooden inserts. I'm concerned about the main body of the cathedral, but about the towers, at first sight I would say that there isn't enough fuel to generate a heat able to deform the structures so much to make them fall.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Listen, as for I physically saw visiting the cathedral, the towers, the main walls [and the treasure] are made of strong stone. More important is that the structures are not standing because of wooden inserts. I'm concerned about the main body of the cathedral, but about the towers, at first sight I would say that there isn't enough fuel to generate a heat able to deform the structures so much to make them fall.
That was my impression too, but I honestly have no idea how limestone behaves under extreme heat and there were apparently reports that the towers (and certainly main body) were under danger of collapse; now the consensus seems to be that the backbone of the monument is intact and will likely stay that way, thankfully.

Oct 2013
Europix
It seems that the structure is saved at this moment.

A small good news is that when the fire started, the evacuation scheme was applied with success, not only for the visitors but also for a small part of the artworks and reliquaries.

One fire-fighter was seriously injured.

On TF1, the vice-president of the Patrimoine Foundation announced the opening of a public subscription for the future refection of the Notre Dame.

He expressed the hope that there will be enough artisans for the task to come.

He also expressed his conviction that French will pass this moment and will be restore Notre Dame into its splendour, no matter how difficult it will be and how long it will take.

A conviction that I totally share.

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
That was my impression too, but I honestly have no idea how limestone behaves under extreme heat and there were apparently reports that the towers (and certainly main body) were under danger of collapse; now the consensus seems to be that the backbone of the monument is intact and will likely stay that way, thankfully.
Now French firefighters are optimistic about the main structures: Notre Dame will survive!

Aug 2013
Europe
York Minster looked like this when it had a huge fire (1980s) and as with the Notre Dame, lost the Rose Window too, but the towers remained intact.
The news is saying the fire is under control. It took time but York Minster was rebuilt and the Notre Dame will be too. It's a bad fire but all is not lost.

Oct 2013
Europix
In 1401, the built of the new organ was decided.

During centuries, it was restaurated, extended, but a part of its core, its "heart" remained inside. Some of the tubes from the medieval organ are still there.

Were.

Le Grande orgue de Notre Dame de Paris is no longer.

50 organists succeeded on it's keys, years after year, for a half a millennium.

The 51st, the next to come, will not be able to see on the keyboards the traces of his precedessors, to feel their souls playing, singing with him.

Phillippe Lefebre

Le grande orgue

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
The interior actually seems to be remarkably undamaged, with even the ribbed vaulting staying largely intact:

It seems that the fire was mostly contained to the level above the vaulting -- that is, to the wooden supports for the roof above. Wooden benches and candles can even be seen unburnt and unmelted, which gives me some hope for the stained glass and other more delicate works. A diagram of the building, to give an idea of the level of damage we're looking at here:

Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The interior actually seems to be remarkably undamaged, with even the ribbed vaulting staying largely intact:

It seems that the fire was mostly contained to the level above the vaulting -- that is, to the wooden supports for the roof above. Wooden benches and candles can even be seen unburnt and unmelted, which gives me some hope for the stained glass and other more delicate works. A diagram of the building, to give an idea of the level of damage we're looking at here:
It appears that the situation is far better than I could have hoped for an hour ago. Thank you JDA.

Similar History Discussions