Norte Dame on fire

Aug 2015
Slovenia
I can't believe that a casual fire of such proportions can happen to a structure with 13 millions of yearly visitors. Where was security? Is this a symbol where the west is heading to?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I can't believe that a casual fire of such proportions can happen to a structure with 13 millions of yearly visitors. Where was security? Is this a symbol where the west is heading to?
The Cathedral was undergoing renovation. While it is deeply to be regretted, fires and other catastrophes happen from time to time. Thank God no one appears to have been killed or injured

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
The stained glass seems to have survived generally or even entirely intact, based on this video:

The water pouring off the side of the building throughout probably helped quite a bit, come to think of it.

The entire ordeal was certainly spectacular, but I think the church might actually come out of it relatively unscathed.

Mar 2016
Australia
I'm absolutely devastated at this. I visited Notre Dame when I was in Paris last December and was awed by the beauty and grandeur of the building, and left a small donation on my way out. Easily one of the greatest buildings I'd ever seen. This news makes me want to cry.

Why did the bells of Notre Dame ring so strong during the night of the Saint Bartholomew,the 24 august 1572 ? To answer to the bell of the church of Saint Germain l Auxerrois,in front of the Louvre, which declenched the famous slaughter.The communications were perfect;the "cinquanteniers,quaranteniers and dizainiers" of the quarter Notre Dame have exterminated 400 habitants of the rue Saint Jacques,the "Champs Elysees" of this time,principally huguenot business men and artisans,proprietaries of little shops of all nationalities,and even german,english and swiss students who came in Paris to discover the culture of the Humanism and Renaissance.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
After some further research, it seems both of the stained glass windows at the level of the roof itself were destroyed, as you might expect, but the rest, including the largest rosette windows, are largely intact. It's extremely hard to find any pictures of them in the later stages of the fire though, most photographers focusing on the action at the top, so I hope I'm not wrong.

Mar 2019
Kansas
After some further research, it seems both of the stained glass windows at the level of the roof itself were destroyed, as you might expect, but the rest, including the largest rosette windows, are largely intact. It's extremely hard to find any pictures of them in the later stages of the fire though, most photographers focusing on the action at the top, so I hope I'm not wrong.
They are reporting on CNN that as per the evacuation plan all the major relics have survived as well. And a further piece of good news, a number of copper statues surround the spire that collapsed had been taken down last week as part of the renovations

Similar History Discussions