North America and South America

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
North America and South America which continent has the highest rate of racism?
say opinions and suggestions

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
You meant North America and Latin America?
yes, I wanted to say South America from the Neolithic language and from North America language French English Spanish

the portuguese does not say latin america

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Friend Tulius, I agree with you.
and how to say Latin America, in Portuguese we say countries south america
My history teacher taught me that. Latin America only exists in French because the word is French

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Latino Europa.
Sometimes it's difficult to mesure racist actions or speeches, because, at least in my country, very few would accept their own racism.
Give you an example. FIFA world cup 2006, quarterfinals match Germany-Argentina. During the second half came to the field a German dark-skinned player David Odonkor. The TV commentator said his mother is german and his father is from Ghana. Immediatly after, the other TV guy made a joke you could translate like "the mother of the player had a party night" ("la señora se tiró una cañita"). He just assumed there was no way a german woman could love an african man. The TV channel didn't fire the guy. No national agency put any fine on the channel. Nothing happened about it (just Germany won the match by free kicks).
Anyone can make that kind of comments here. Even in the media. Those who say such a thing or those who laugh at it, would never consider themselves racist. (There are many harder and more explicit examples to give). Racism is here but we refuse to take it seriously. Something similar I would say about Brasil (which I visited many times) and Bolivia (where I spent some days once).
I have the impression that in US racism is in the social and in the political agenda. Also, many racist people expose themselves as such. We get news from Mexico, as well as movies, artists. Many argentinian live there or take vacation; and I get the impression that racism is not a mayor social problem. (Have no info about Canadá to make an opinion).
I couldn't say where is there more racism rate. But I think US and Mexico take the issue more seriously than Brasil or Argentina.

Last edited:

RoryOMore

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
USA
"Racism" might not be the most useful category. Someone may never come in contact with another race, and yet still be irrationally prejudiced based on religion, ethnicity, nationality, class, sex - there's no limit to the categories. A charge of "racism" can become a weapon in the hands of someone who doesn't hate other races, but is nonetheless a rabid hater of every other kind.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
The question from my post, will be so difficult to answer?
Everything is history, and I only ask for opinions.

Feb 2017
Canada
I would say that the basis of racism is genetics, and that the people living in both continents are, for the most part, genetically identical.

And so the potential for the people on each continent to be racist is the same, but the situations where racism comes into play may vary. For instance, if South America is more racially diverse we'd expect to see a higher prevalence of racial bias coming into play. Whereas if you have a city in Canada that is 98% white European, the 2% will most certainly experience racism, but the sum amount of discrimination happening is less.

May 2017
Monterrey
I would say that the basis of racism is genetics, and that the people living in both continents are, for the most part, genetically identical.
I would say the basis of racism is prejudice and bullshit. When it comes to racism in South America you might want to look at "indios"; common slur.