Notable women in history

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Who are some of the more notable women in history? It seems like most of our discussions involve men, whether they be Presidents, Generals, Philosophers, or something else.

I'll start out by listing Eleanor Roosevelt. She was one of the most active First Lady's our country has ever seen. It is said she practically ran the office during the end of FDRs term as his health decreased.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
old_abe said:
Joan of Arc for riding around naked on a horse
I think you'll find that was Lady Godiva :D
Joan of Arc was the psychotic armour clad one that attacked the English and got burned at the stake for her trouble.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Belisarius said:
I think you'll find that was Lady Godiva :D
Joan of Arc was the psychotic armour clad one that attacked the English and got burned at the stake for her trouble.
Yeah, her riding throught the streets is also where we get the term "Peeping Tom."

Jun 2006
Joan of Arc was a very important woman, I do believe. She had a lot of power and she fought hard against the English. Another woman is Honoria, the Roman woman that sent her ring to Attila the Hun, which resulted in him thinking she wanted to marry him. He therefore invaded into Roman lands in the hopes of marrying her. But did she really want to marry him or did she want help to get away from her forced marriage with a senator?

Jun 2006
According to the "This day in history thread" amelia earhart went missing today. If I remember correctly she broke a lot of flying records by being the first woman to fly to various places.

Her body was never found.

Jul 2006
Hellas
old_abe said:
Joan of Arc for riding around naked on a horse
I respect that you try to make humor :D
but she was not notable for this, she inspired a nation, though he remained in history much more for her unfair death in stake.

I can add Virgin Mary obvius as the only woman in history that is worshipped, Queen Elizabeth I cause she made England worlpower, Kleopatra for her political ability (and she almost suceeded) to kepp Egypt independent and ally of Rome (comeon guys i know her sexual history :D ) e.t.c.

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
fire_of_sekhmet said:
I think there were other women who were worshipped..
With the release of those Da Vinci type books, it seems like Mary Magdalene should be worshipped.