Notre Dame on fire

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I think it was mentioned already, but at least the building had stone vaulting... so it was only the beams of the roof (and spire :crying:) burning... hopefully the stonework will be unaffected.

Here's a picture for anyone - who like me - likes pictures... it helps visualize what was flammable and what will hopefully still be standing, as long as the temperature of the blaze didn't affect the stone.
Yesterday I expected that the vaulting had all fallen down since nothing showed above the level of the parapet. But as your attached diagram shows, the parapet level was right at he top of the vaulting, not the bottom of the vaulting. The wooden roof almost all burned up, and the lead roof tiles it supported all fell. I have seen pictures taken within that show some of the ceiling vaults standing and some fallen, no doubt because of falling roof timbers and lead tiles. I don't know what percentage of the vaults still stand.

I hope the roof will be rebuilt with more fireproof materials.

Reactions: arkteia and Niobe

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I hope the roof will be rebuilt with more fireproof materials.
I have no doubt that the roof will be reconstructed with stronger, lighter and less flammable materials than wood. There are no points awarded for using original materials during a cathedral rebuild necessitated by a near catastrophic fire.

Reactions: Niobe

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Everyone will be happy to hear that Quasimodo , the Gypsy Girl Esmeralda and twenty-two members of her family are safe and being accommodated at the George V at state expense.

Reactions: arkteia and Niobe

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
1245 - Current building completed

1376 - Nave demolished and rebuilt

1503 - Chapel added

1560 Interior badly damaged and then restored

1745 Western Towers added

1832 Chapter House restored

1940/41 Minor bomb damage requiring timber replacements through the roof

1971 Bell tower and bells refurbished

2012 - Monks food storage area converted to restaurant and gift shop

2018 Queens Jubilee and new gothic access tower completed

Organs added 1848 1937 (refurbished 1959 and 2006)

Bells added 1320 1585 1598 1738
Please study----Victorian restoration - Wikipedia