Number of Ships at Trafalgar

Feb 2019
Serbia
I'm curious about the exact number of ships on each side at the Battle of Trafalgar.
I've seen several sources, some claim that the British had 27 Ships of the Line while the Franco-Spanish had 33. Others claim that the British had 33 ships and the Franco-Spanish had 40 or 41.
What is the exact number? Is there a definitive answer?

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Hoo, been a LONG time since I read about Trafalgar, but I do recall they were pretty solid about 27 ships of the line for the British and 33 for the French and Spanish. But both fleets had a few frigates and sloops as well, could those add up to your higher numbers?

Matthew

Oct 2015
Virginia
Per James and Clowes:
(FF) = fleet flagship, (F) = flagship of a squadron

British: Victory (FF), Temeraire, Neptune, Leviathan, Brittania (F), Conqueror, Africa, Agamemnon, Ajax, Orion, Minotaur, Spartiate
Royal Sovereign (F), Bellisle, Mars, Tonnant, Bellerophon, Colossus, Achille, Dreadnaught, Polyphemus, Revenge, Swiftsure, Defiance, Thunderer, Defense, Prince
27 of the line, plus 4 frigates (Euryalus, Naiad, Phoebe, Sirius) a schooner and a brig.

Allies: (+ = Spanish) Neptuno+, Scipion, Rayo+, Formidable (F), Duguay Trouin, San Francisco de Asis+, Mont Blanc
San Augustin+, Heros, Santissima Trinidad (F)+, Bucentaure (FF), Neptune, San Leandro+, Redoutable
Intrepide, San Justo+, Indomptable, Santa Ana (F)+, Fougeaux, Monarca+, Pluton
Algeciras, Bahama+, Aigle, Swiftsure, Argonaute, Montanez+, Argonauta+, Berwick, San Juan Nepomuceno+, San Ildefonso+, Achille, Principe de Asturias (FF)+
33 of the line, plus 5 frigates (Rhin, Hortense, Cornelie, Themis, Hermoine) and two corvettes.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Serbia
Per James and Clowes:
(FF) = fleet flagship, (F) = flagship of a squadron

British: Victory (FF), Temeraire, Neptune, Leviathan, Brittania (F), Conqueror, Africa, Agamemnon, Ajax, Orion, Minotaur, Spartiate
Royal Sovereign (F), Bellisle, Mars, Tonnant, Bellerophon, Colossus, Achille, Dreadnaught, Polyphemus, Revenge, Swiftsure, Defiance, Thunderer, Defense, Prince
27 of the line, plus 4 frigates (Euryalus, Naiad, Phoebe, Sirius) a schooner and a brig.

Allies: (+ = Spanish) Neptuno+, Scipion, Rayo+, Formidable (F), Duguay Trouin, San Francisco de Asis+, Mont Blanc
San Augustin+, Heros, Santissima Trinidad (F)+, Bucentaure (FF), Neptune, San Leandro+, Redoutable
Intrepide, San Justo+, Indomptable, Santa Ana (F)+, Fougeaux, Monarca+, Pluton
Algeciras, Bahama+, Aigle, Swiftsure, Argonaute, Montanez+, Argonauta+, Berwick, San Juan Nepomuceno+, San Ildefonso+, Achille, Principe de Asturias (FF)+
33 of the line, plus 5 frigates (Rhin, Hortense, Cornelie, Themis, Hermoine) and two corvettes.

Thank you for this, I believe that some estimates probably excluded smaller ships and only counted ships of the line.