Obscure World War 2 battles Battle of Stonne

Oct 2015
California
The battle of Stonne is not obscure. I have been there several times.
Bataille de Stonne — Wikipédia

Stonne is called the Verdun of 1940.
I've always known about the Char B1's impressive performance in 1940 inspite of a lack of radios that prevented them from coordinating attacks. In the video the tank's name is "Fleurie" but there is actually another tank named "Eure" commanded by Pierre Billotte that single handedly destroyed several Pz IIs IIIs and IVs.

I believe this picture is the crew of the "Fleurie" depicted in the video I posted.

fleurie.jpg

Feb 2011
Scotland
Similarly at Voreppe in June 1940, the French showed they could not only nullify Italian advances but inflicted a sharp and costly repulse upon German forces, which included Panzers.

Sep 2011
Similarly at Voreppe in June 1940, the French showed they could not only nullify Italian advances but inflicted a sharp and costly repulse upon German forces, which included Panzers.
I recall a much later interview with one of de Gaulle's tank-men in 1940 about how he experienced things. And it was clearly frustrating. The French tanks would push forward, there would be fighting, some of it hard, and then at some point they would be relieved and move out of the line temporarily.

And then they would later be informed that whatever position they had been holding or taking had since been surrendered to the Germans. But at no point had he had the personal feeling of being out-fought or defeated by the Germans. Except everything was going down into the cacky regardless.

Similar History Discussions