Obsolete names

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I'm going to start up a few threads on names. This one is about names we almost never see any more.

The Victoriansjad fantastic names, particularly amongst the upper classes, but many of these have fallen out of fashion or disappeared altogether. Such as:
Gonville
Granville
Sherlock
Teignmouth

I think Daisy was becoming quaint, unless you were a cow, but I suspect it will make a comeback. But one name that will probably not be making one is Gaylord - an anglicised version of the French Gillard.

An example from Japanese is Hanako (lit. "flower-child").

Nowadays, the trend seems to be for silly spellings for common names. Sharrun, Traecee, Krisstofer etc.

Can you think of any more examples of names from the recent past that have fallen by the wayside,in any language or culture?

Last edited:

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Old Testament names were more common in the 19th century - Abraham Lincoln, Jedediah Smith. There are a few Old Testment names still widely used: Adam, Noah, David, Samuel, etc. But today if you see someone named Abraham, Solomon, Saul, Rachel, Rebecka, etc, there's a pretty good chance they're Jewish. Those names have fallen out of fashion among Christians.

Jan 2017
UK
Richard is still popular, the diminutive Dick won't be used for it
Reginald and Montgomery are quite old-fashioned, the youngest woman called Ethel is about 100 years old

Adolph has been tainted beyond repair, Osama is going the same direction (in Western countries).

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Old Testament names were more common in the 19th century - Abraham Lincoln, Jedediah Smith. There are a few Old Testment names still widely used: Adam, Noah, David, Samuel, etc. But today if you see someone named Abraham, Solomon, Saul, Rachel, Rebecka, etc, there's a pretty good chance they're Jewish. Those names have fallen out of fashion among Christians.
I dunno, Rachel is still fairly common as far as I can see. I've certainly known quite a few Rachels who were definitely not Jewish.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
I'm going to start up a few threads on names. This one is about names we almost never see any more.

The Victoriansjad fantastic names, particularly amongst the upper classes, but many of these have fallen out of fashion or disappeared altogether. Such as:

Granville
Granville was the original name for Vancouver, and it's still the name of the central street in the city center. ;)
I guess I never thought of it as a rare name.

Seems like parents eschew old fashioned sounding names, like Gertrude, Archibald, Heathcliff, Penelope etc

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
In Spain, our grandparent's generation left lot of oldfashioned names. Some of them were unoriginal even back then, but others were top names in the 20's-30's and now sound totally outdated, as so did very religious names:

For women, names of men turned female:

Juan (John): Juana
José (Joseph): Josefa
Francisco (Francis): Francisca
Antonio (Anthony): Antonia
Domingo (Dominic): Dominga (which also have developed as a slang word to refer to women's boobs)

etc

Also:

Jacinta (a flower)
Justa ("justful")
Dolores (literally "pain"; more universally known as "Lola")
Trinidad (Trinity)

For men, very posh names of back them:

Justiniano (...Justinian)
Agapito
Raimundo
Saturnino
Aniceto
Pantaleón
Fructuoso

Similar History Discussions