Obsolete names

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I forgot to mention that the name Dove appears to have gone out of fashion in recent decades--with Dove Cameron being a notable exception to this trend (of course, she wasn't given that name at birth, but changed her name to Dove later on in her life).

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Here in Slovenia names like Janez (John), Jože (Joseph) or Franc (pronounced like German Franz) aren't given to children at all anymore, even though they were or still are the most common names among the people alive. Somehow we see them as old people names. By the same token I can't imagine old people with the some of the outright stupid or made up names some children have now ... It is true though that the name Janez has morphed in the forms of Jan and Žan.

Other names from Slovenia that mostly aren't given to children anymore or even at all include Karol (or even the more usual form Karel), Miklavž, Gojmir, Zdravko, Zlatko etc.

I guess Adolf is gone too, huh?

Irmgard, Ingold, Wolfgang, Willibald, Rainer and similar German names seem to have gone out of fashion.

I doubt there's a lot of those more elaborate Slavic names like Stanislav/Stanko, Milenko, Zvonimir, Hrvoje, Vítězslav, Bogomir etc given to children nowadays. Although in Slovenia Črt(omir) is having a bit of a comeback in the past 40 years, considering noone born before 1980 had this name, probably since the middle ages.

I think that some names just sound weird in some languages, while they're perfectly fine in others. Amadeus to me is not an atractive name in German or English, but Amadej seems perfectly fine to me in Slovene. Thaddeus in English, Tadeusz in Polish and Thaddäus in German don't do it for me, Tadej in Slovene I find fine though. I don't like Evgen in Slovene, but I like Eugene in English (I know a lot of people don't).

John Baptist seems to be gone from all languages. Jean Baptiste, Janez Krstnik, Johann Baptist, gone for a 100 years already, probably ...

Middle names like Tecumseh or Maria (male).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
One needs to be careful with the Daily Mail, though. Indeed, is it always reliable?

Also, here are two other names that appear to have largely gone out of fashion: Rutherford and Chester. The former appears to have gone even more out of fashion than the latter.

Similar History Discussions