Oddest Wars Ever Fought (or not fought)?

Dec 2013
Arkansas
I'm a history teacher considering doing a unit on wars that were truly odd or unusual.

I've come up with a number such as the

A) Anglo Zanzibar War-odd for being the shortest war in history.
B) The Football (or Soccer) War-odd for tensions being raised to the point of war in part thanks to a World's Cup qualifying series.
C) The Emu War- only war so far not involving a human opponent.
D) The Cod War(s)- name similarity of the Cold War.

Any other suggestions?

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Welcome to Historum!

The only one I can think of right now is the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_war"]Pig War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].

Dec 2010
Southwest U.S.
The Arostook War (which is also called the "Pork and Beans War") ended before any actual battles occurred. The dispute was over the Maine/Canadian border and logging rights. The British and American governments were able to settle the border dispute peacefully. However, according to Wikipedia, there were several non-combat injuries to some militia members.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroostook_War]Aroostook War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Dec 2013
Arkansas
IIRC there was a border war in Eastern Europe in the 1990s that some called the "Drunken War" because at night, when the fighting had settled down lots of officers from both sides would get together and drink. A lot.

IIRC again, something like 1,000 people were killed in it.

May 2013
Colorado
I keep coming back (and keep reading more and more) about the Pig War between Britain and the US in 1859. At its height, several British war ships with 167 cannon and over 2,000 British marines faced off against less than 500 US Army soldiers with 14 cannon. Fortunately, President Buchanan the British saw how silly this was. Only the pig died. To commemorate the war, the US Park service still raises and lowers the Union Jack at the site and there also is a Royal Marine Cemetery located at the park (English Camp, San Juan Island).

Joint occupation continued until the boundary was finally set in 1872 with arbitration under the Treaty of Washington. Kaiser Wilhelm I was one of the arbitrators.

HMS Satellite 1859 in the San Juan Islands.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions