Of Rodents and Humans

Sep 2012
India
Our neighbourhood rats have now started to wander around in the open even in the morning and noon, they seem to have lost their nocturnal habits of food scrounging. Bad for the future !
For the sake of our non-Indian posters, I might state here that our domestic rubbish is collected by us and deposited in plastic rubbish bins with plastic lids, as required by municipal rules. The bins are kept on the road outside the properties of the private parties.The municipal garbage collection contractor comes with his van and the rubbish can is opened and the rubbish dumped into the van manually by the workers of the contractor. So the cans are required to be lightweight, this makes them easy to topple over for the stray dogs !

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Northwest Territories, USA
rodents are pests. they spread disease, it's established fact.
And humans don't? Besides, if humans keep their environment clean, rodents move away.

Our neighbourhood rats have now started to wander around in the open even in the morning and noon, they seem to have lost their nocturnal habits of food scrounging. Bad for the future !
For the sake of our non-Indian posters, I might state here that our domestic rubbish is collected by us and deposited in plastic rubbish bins with plastic lids, as required by municipal rules. The bins are kept on the road outside the properties of the private parties.The municipal garbage collection contractor comes with his van and the rubbish can is opened and the rubbish dumped into the van manually by the workers of the contractor. So the cans are required to be lightweight, this makes them easy to topple over for the stray dogs !
Maybe a reasonably secure latch on the lid is not too much to ask? Maybe there should be a law.

Sep 2012
India
And humans don't? Besides, if humans keep their environment clean, rodents move away.

Maybe a reasonably secure latch on the lid is not too much to ask? Maybe there should be a law.
It will have to be catch ( rather than a metal latch )of some kind with plastic as the material for it. But it means that the worker has to open that catch, which increases his work and the time for the van. With thousands of cans requiring disposal, this looks difficult. But this is good suggestion which I will forward to the authorities, thanks !

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
It will have to be catch ( rather than a metal latch )of some kind with plastic as the material for it. But it means that the worker has to open that catch, which increases his work and the time for the van. With thousands of cans requiring disposal, this looks difficult. But this is good suggestion which I will forward to the authorities, thanks !
Many people believe in killing the rats and mice, but do this really work?
With the sheer amount of rubbish and the households, the rubbish collectors may have a tough time as well.
Sanitary issue is quite severe in any overpopulated part of the world; occasionally, demographic dividend is a myth.
As a non-driver, I quite welcome the advent of self-driving cars, but many drivers feel their jobs threatened.

Sep 2012
India
Many people believe in killing the rats and mice, but do this really work?
With the sheer amount of rubbish and the households, the rubbish collectors may have a tough time as well.
Sanitary issue is quite severe in any overpopulated part of the world; occasionally, demographic dividend is a myth.
As a non-driver, I quite welcome the advent of self-driving cars, but many drivers feel their jobs threatened.[/QUOTE ]
Urban waste is becoming a big problem in all countries, whether overpopulated or not. There is a modern tendency to waste food, the leftover are thrown into the rubbish bins, inviting rats , even mole rats to the party.
The proliferation of underground utility tunnels and sewers also provide convenient hiding and breeding places for the Rattus Rattus Norvegicus.
The simplest of the countermeasures is not to waste food, and if there are any leftovers, please do not throw them in the rubbish bins , rather use them to produce compost in your home ! Compost is easily produced by keeping a big tin filled with alternate layers of soil and the food rubbish from your kitchen. The soil should have some clay, as it will encourage the growth of earthworms probably the best agency to convert food waste into compost /fertiliser. Keep the tin covered and within 3/4 weeks the compost will be ready. I have done this myself, so I know. This compost is very good for your home garden being grown in pots in your balcony. The rats must be starved out. Of course, keeping a cat or two is the best insurance to keep the rats away.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
[B said:
rvsakhadeo[/B]]The simplest of the countermeasures is not to waste food, and if there are any leftovers, please do not throw them in the rubbish bins , rather use them to produce compost in your home ! Compost is easily produced by keeping a big tin filled with alternate layers of soil and the food rubbish from your kitchen. The soil should have some clay, as it will encourage the growth of earthworms probably the best agency to convert food waste into compost /fertiliser. Keep the tin covered and within 3/4 weeks the compost will be ready. I have done this myself, so I know. This compost is very good for your home garden being grown in pots in your balcony. The rats must be starved out. Of course, keeping a cat or two is the best insurance to keep the rats away.
Keep in mind that leftovers not only attract rodents, they attract less desirable "pests" as well.
In North America, we have raccoons and different types of corvids beside rodents.
I would like to mention the "pest species" of cockroaches; note that no more than 40 species of the 4000-5000 species of cockroaches are pests.
Note that rodents represent 2200+ species and calling all of them pests is totally unfair.