Oh boy this is controversial topic...

Jan 2019
My mom's basement
Who was the worst (most incompetent) general/marshal/army commander od the ww2?But pls dont say something like Tito or some other partisan,rebelion leader.
In my opinion it was Semyon Budyonny because he used his old school cavlary and infartny tactics against germans advancing throught Ukraine.Between August and September of 1941, 43 Soviet divisions were either destroyed or captured - a staggering 700,000 men lost.

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
Who was the worst (most incompetent) general/marshal/army commander od the ww2? .
Pretty hard to think of anyone more incompetent than Soviet Marshal Kulik.
He was in charge of artillery and tank development and production.

He had a reputation as an incompetent officer, a "murderous buffoon", and a bully, but his friendship with Stalin protected him from criticism.

Kulik also disparaged using minefields as a defensive measure, considering it at odds with a properly aggressive strategy and terming it "a weapon of the weak." This disastrous decision allowed for the essentially free movement of German forces across Russian defensive lines during Barbarossa
Responsible for overseeing the development and production of new tanks, tank guns and artillery pieces, Kulik's fundamental ignorance of his topic— coupled with his abusive, bumbling personality and tendency to condemn technological advances as "bourgeois sabotage"—- would prove a serious hindrance to the Red Army's ability to modernize itself prior to the war with Germany.
Kulik personally despised tanks and armored vehicles altogether, arguing that they were inferior to horses and would "never replace them". After he was overruled by Stalin and ordered to produce the tanks anyway, he began deliberately delaying the production of ammunition and guns, resulting in a drastic shortage of 76.2mm shells. At the start of the war, no more than 12% of the T-34 and KV-1 tanks had a full ammunition load
He was one of Stalin's most loyal and incompetent boot-lickers.
Stalin had him shot in 1950

Grigory_Kulik.jpg

Grigory Kulik - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
That article about Kulik is hilarious. I like this bit: Kulik similarly scorned the German issue of the MP-40 submachine gun to their shock troops as a "bourgeois fascist affectation", stating that it encouraged inaccuracy and excessive ammunition consumption among the rank and file. He forbade the issue of the submachine gun PPD-40 to his units, stating that it was only suitable as a "pure police weapon".

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
That article about Kulik is hilarious. I like this bit: Kulik similarly scorned the German issue of the MP-40 submachine gun to their shock troops as a "bourgeois fascist affectation", stating that it encouraged inaccuracy and excessive ammunition consumption among the rank and file. He forbade the issue of the submachine gun PPD-40 to his units, stating that it was only suitable as a "pure police weapon".
When we reflect on the Russian experience in World War I, I can be sympathetic to a logistics leader that had serious concern about stockpiles of ammunition?

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
As if somehow a submachine gun was an appropriate weapon vs civilians in a conscription protest or a bread riot? :oops:

Similar History Discussions