Ok ... Egyptians are doing something Pharaonic ...

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, if there is a People entitled to do Pharaonic public works ... that's the Egyptian one!

What are they doing? A new giant capital for more than 6,000,000 of inhabitants.

The main problem is not to build it ... but to give a name to the new city! As for I can infer from Italian journalistic sources, Egyptians are still well far from deciding which will be the name of the new capital [while the works of construction are well advanced].

A part this detail, there is a pragmatic problem: the cost of the houses in the new city. In Egypt they doubt that common citizens will be able to afford a house there ...

Egypt prepares to open its grand new capital

In any case ... that's Pharaonic!

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Heliopolis El-Sisiopolis City of the Great God, shining like the Sun on his people in eternity, for ever and ever.

Jan 2017
UK
Egypt is set to experience a population boom over the following decades. Cairo is pretty overcrowded hence the plan for new settlements. In the previous decade New Cairo was built with the capacity to house 5 million people, the current population is 200,000.

Video I saw a couple months ago on Egypt's proposed new capital. I can't help my skepticism at the estimated $45 billion cost of the project, such ambitious construction projects rarely run according to plan, ending up overbudget and over deadline.

Last edited:

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Egypt is set to experience a population boom over the following decades. Cairo is pretty overcrowded hence the plan for new settlements. Ie.
That would be a catastrophe... They already had one, and their population is close to 100 million (tripled in 50 years)... they have severely outran their resources, and cannot feed themselves.... Although the country is fairly large (about 1 mio sq kilometers or about twice larger than the largest european countries bar Russia) only about 3% is really any good, the rest is desert..... And the population tends to concentrate in those 3% (e.g. Cairo)... They only have ONE source of water , the Nile (rainfall is extremely rare).... Forests are all but unknown and cover 0.1% of the land area (vs about 30% european countries, more in Scandinavia).. thus wood is a rarity....

Because of the scarcity of good land, it makes sense to build out in the desert... except for one thing..... people dont like it there....

Reactions: Edratman

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The only way to get people to live in the desert is to build some industries around the settlement. People go where the jobs are. They have to be permanent jobs not just temporary construction or mining jobs that create a boom and then bust.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I'm not sure if this project has too much sense being so close to Cairo (40 kms?), it will just merge into Greater Cairo soon, and i guess most workers will commute there daily if the property prices are so high. Why aren't they then so brave to move the capital to Upper Egypt for example?
The other notable and more or less successful new capital projects were built hundreds of kilometers away from the original seat ( Brasília-Rio de Janeiro and Astana-Almaty distances are more than 1000 kms, the Istanbul-Ankara distance is 500 kms, Petrograd-Moscow 700 kms etc). But I'm sure it is a good opportunity to steal money from overpriced government contracts.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I'm not sure if this project has too much sense being so close to Cairo (40 kms?), it will just merge into Greater Cairo soon, and i guess most workers will commute there daily if the property prices are so high. Why aren't they then so brave to move the capital to Upper Egypt for example?
The other notable and more or less successful new capital projects were built hundreds of kilometers away from the original seat ( Brasília-Rio de Janeiro and Astana-Almaty distances are more than 1000 kms, the Istanbul-Ankara distance is 500 kms, Petrograd-Moscow 700 kms etc). But I'm sure it is a good opportunity to steal money from overpriced government contracts.
Dont forget Yamoussokro in Ivory Coast, which has turned out to be a failure...

Note: Astana has been renamed Nur Sultan...... but it was an existing city which was greatly (well relatively) expanded....... the population is still only about 1 million (or about 6% of the country population)...

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The only way to get people to live in the desert is to build some industries around the settlement. People go where the jobs are. They have to be permanent jobs not just temporary construction or mining jobs that create a boom and then bust.
The problem is that most industries require quite a lot of water..... However, since it is to be a capital there could be plenty of government jobs, which basically require nothing but paper ..... and even that can be dispensed with now that everyone is going digital....