Okay let's do this. Julius Caesar v. Alexander the Great??

Julius Caesar vs. Alexander the Great

• Alexander the Great

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The confrontation is decontextualized, and this is already a problem, but overall Alexander hadn't to fight a civil war against other great leaders of his own Republic. Alexander did expand the Greek Empire really more than Caesar did with the Roman domains, but Caesar had to face other great Roman leaders ... Alexander didn't face and defeat other great Macedonian leaders.

But I repeat, being the confrontation decontextualized, it's about instinctive preference more than about a rational and comprehensive evaluation.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Why historians are obsessed with stupid generals?
As a moderator I take care of the message board ... as an innocent question ... are you back to disrupt or to contribute?

It's an innocent question [note that I'm not using the red color].

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
OK, I think that's a signal for this thread to be closed.

DrStrangelove987 - you have to consider that a popular subject like this will almost certainly have been covered multiple times on Historum. We have just about every combination of Napoleon, Alexander, Caesar and Hannibal face-offs. These are amongst the most commonly studied generals by amateur historians throughout the western world, and everyone has their favourites. That doesn't mean you can't do the thread again, but I think we've done it an awful lot on Historum.

Status
Closed