Okay, so I was listening to a song by Horrible Histories

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Yes, especially by the British establishment.

He was a fairly ambitious and intelligent man who was told to go stand in corner and look decorative by Royal protocol, he got bored and tried to interfere in the established running of the Royal household. That affected peoples jobs and prestige so they fought back.

He finally worked out that instead of fighting the establishment he should take a new path and go directly to the people, so you get plans like the great exhibition which raised his profile, gave him something technical to fill in his time and couldnt be interferd with by the old guard.

So yes, he was not popular but he became popular.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The impression I get that the upper British nobility did not like Albert for a number of reasons:

1. He was a foreigner, a German, and so disliked for not being a good British one.

2. He was intellectual, and most British nobility was not into intellectual pursuits, more into hunting and sports. I was surprised to learn Prince Charles was the first British monarch/heir to kingdom to complete an university degree.

3. The impressing I had that Albert's rather staid and rsther strict morals did not sit well with the upper British nobility, who were not so straightlaced and rather more risque. I think the nobility had as hidden almost sneering contempt for Albert's "middle class" values. Domestic family life and bliss thought Albert promoted were high on the upper nobility priorities, but made him more popular with the common middle class folk. Victoria seemed much more a party girl before Albert came along.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I would imagine it was for his involvement in the SS Trent affair, during the American Civil War. He embarked on a letter writing campaign to stop Britain coming down on the side of the Confederacy and having direct involvement in the war itself.
No, his involvement in the Trent affair was to urge the softening of the wording of a letter demanding the release of the captured diplomats, it was a private intervention which didn't cause any anger within the British government.
It didn't have any effect on his immediate popularity in Britain as he died of sickness within a month of the intervention, but when it did become known, it increased his reputation as a statesman.