Oldest Known Religion

Jul 2010
Not sure what it is
plus the hindus have no concept of heaven or hell they have continuous reincarnation until soul merges with the god:)
I think you are wrong here. Hinduism believes one's karma determines where one's going to reincarnate to. Perhaps he did something great, and he's reincarnated as one of the gods in heaven. Perhaps he did something terrible, then he's reincarnated as a demon suffering in hell.

Jun 2012
Brazil
I need to say that i dont read the whole thread

but I think the most oldest religions was the animistic, like the religions of the Aborigenes Australian our maybe the religion of some Native american tribe the shamanistc in general.

Nov 2010
3rd rock from Sol
I think you are wrong here. Hinduism believes one's karma determines where one's going to reincarnate to. Perhaps he did something great, and he's reincarnated as one of the gods in heaven. Perhaps he did something terrible, then he's reincarnated as a demon suffering in hell.
I think you forgot that he's an Indian and no offence, but he knows Hinduism better than foreigners. :)

No people don't get reincarnated into gods. The good people simply get released from the repetitive cycle of life and death, and attain eternal peace by merging with the spirit of the Universe(nirvana after attaining moksha). Or else, they undergo the cycles of life and death for thousands of years, until the day his/her good deeds grant him moksha.

If he's a terrible person, he gets demoted in the animal kingdom, and takes birth as a insignificant and dirty worm/insect etc. So he has to be good and work his way up into taking birth as a human after many cycles of life and death. The concept of heaven and hell is not the same as that of Abrahamic religions.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
chandigarh
according to bhagwad gita you are reincarnated based on what you are attached to ,If you are attached to meat you are reincarnated as atiger, If to money you can be incarnated as a ledger, If you are attached to god you will merge with eternal sea of god head, Reincarnation is based on your attachments

Mar 2012
As far as having a traceable textual authority largely in its modern form, I would in fact argue Daoism is the oldest continuous religion at the present. The Guodian Laozi dating to 300 BC is older than the Dead Sea Scrolls by 1 to 2 centuries, the Buddhist Ghandara texts by over 3 centuries, and the Avesta by even more. Hinduism has an oral tradition that is not precisely datable and its written form only appeared during the middle ages.
One should also be wary of taking traditional claims of the time of one's own sacred texts at literal value, if so, you can have texts that are eternal.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
As far as having a traceable textual authority largely in its modern form, I would in fact argue Daoism is the oldest continuous religion at the present. The Guodian Laozi dating to 300 BC is older than the Dead Sea Scrolls by 1 to 2 centuries, the Buddhist Ghandara texts by over 3 centuries, and the Avesta by even more. Hinduism has an oral tradition that is not precisely datable and its written form only appeared during the middle ages.
One should also be wary of taking traditional claims of the time of one's own sacred texts at literal value, if so, you can have texts that are eternal.
You are probably right.

Jun 2015
Scotland
I vaguely remember reading there was evidence that Neanderthals performed some sort of ritual burials so I suppose that could be deemed as evidence for the most ancient known religion?

Similar History Discussions