Omnipresence and All-Seeing paradox?

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
If God is omnipresent )everywhere), can He ever see Himself? If not, how can He be All-seeing? If He can, where can He be outside of everywhere in order to see Himself?

veka

Ad Honorem
Dec 2008
Finland
If God is omnipresent )everywhere), can He ever see Himself? If not, how can He be All-seeing? If He can, where can He be outside of everywhere in order to see Himself?
I understand omnipresence to mean that even though God is not in any place, he is cognitively and causally present everywhere. All-seeing means God's cognitive presence: he knows everything that happens everywhere.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
This language of seeing is rather naive. As a reflective being, I don't need to see my body to 'see' myself, I have a self-awareness that is mental and does not depend on the mediation of the senses. All of us everyday are able to stand outside of everywhere to 'see' ourselves!

May 2015
Sunderland
If it hasn't already this thread will quickly morph into a long winded semantics discussion re: the meaning of omnipresent/all seeing.

Nov 2015
Gehenna
God does not have a body located in some region of space, so there is nothing to be seen here.

It is about his self-awareness. Here even limited humans have a direct and privileged access to their own minds, and their self-knowledge of at least immediate psychological states is beyond doubt. God, supposedly, has a perfect knowledge of it, and simply can't have unconscious desires, or deceive himself. His mind is perfectly transparent for him.
Not such a wild or irrational idea, by the way, if you buy into the whole Jude-Christian view of God in the first place.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
I understand omnipresence to mean that even though God is not in any place, he is cognitively and causally present everywhere. All-seeing means God's cognitive presence: he knows everything that happens everywhere.
So 'All-seeing' is not so much a visual 'He can see you' sense, but an intuitive 'He knows what you are up to' sense?

veka

Ad Honorem
Dec 2008
Finland
So 'All-seeing' is not so much a visual 'He can see you' sense, but an intuitive 'He knows what you are up to' sense?
That's how I see it, yes. Since God is an immaterial mind or spirit, he doesn't have any physical organs of vision such as eyes.

ib-issi

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
just sitting here
If it hasn't already this thread will quickly morph into a long winded semantics discussion re: the meaning of omnipresent/all seeing.
Aww! ok then.........if god is mental not physical , and we all have that
spark of God in us , then he is omnipresent with everything here, but looking
into the night sky , there are a few more sparks visible , so although
he is in all of us , we are not all of him .