On the physical appearance of Jesus Christ - Yes, he was a real person

Status
Closed
Jul 2017
Neverland
Much has been written of the life and deeds of the Messiah, mostly in the Gospels, contemporary scribes, Roman and Greek sources.
His life, miracles, missionary work has given rise to a World Church, countless books and...SPECULATION as to him been an imaginary figure, rather than a real figure.

Charlatans of all colors, size, shape and stripes have forwarded written works of speculative nature denying his existence, knowing perfectly well that a controversial piece will arouse passions and of course sale of their works. These are individuals, that will rather deny their mothers, if the price is right.

It follows a logic, that without a live interview on BBC or CNN , there can be no proof of Christ being of flesh and blood, but more like a figment of public imagination. Damned be the movement he created, spanning Globe and continents. Ancient sources and accounts were being dismissed and accentuation being put on the speculative.

Deniers, ignore the works of Josephus, who was born in Jerusalem mere 4-6 years after Chrish's crucifiction and could have known facts directly from his immediate family- mother, father or even uncles and aunts. Josephus - author of the Jewish Wars and rebel commander from the 69-70 could have asked older neighbors and everyone in Jerusalem 15-20 years his seniors, that were eyewitnesses of the events surrounding Jesus, just shortly before he was born.

Josephus describes Jesus in a positive light and mentions his followers and the 'band of Christians' still present in his late years.Moreover, after his capture by the Romans he befriends the Supreme commander of the Roman Legions - Titus and spends time in Rome. He has an unprecedent proximity to Roman public records, more than Luke, Daniel, John, Matthew of the Gospels could have dreamed of.

And there are others, whose correspondence and works are mentioned in the extensive read contained in the link below. These are historians, public figures with first hand knowledge as opposed to modern scam artist and money grubbers, waiting to sell a book.
Enjoy reading the link.

Physical Description of Jesus

Jan 2019
Finland
I was under the impression that the 'Flavian Testimony' is considered to be partially doctored, but that Josephus refers to Jesus is widely accepted. I've always found the idea that Jesus didn't exist at all to be a far more complicated and incredible a claim than the idea that Jesus was an apocalyptic Jewish preacher who was executed and who's followers then went on to build the Christian religion on the basis of Jesus' teachings and the story of his ministry grew in the telling.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The matter has been debated many times and the plain reality is that there is no hard evidence of the existence of such a character

A link to a page called " likeness of our saviour" is not likely to provide any such evidence or to present evidence in an objective fashion...

and the second such letter presented as "evidence" on this site (no dates btw) states

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.
Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate

Seriously ? Who actually believes that Pontius Pilate wrote this ?

I just wonder what would have been the reaction of any Roman emperor upon receiving such a letter from a province governor or prefect ? How long would this guy have kept his job I wonder.......

Fake news is not a 21st century invention

Reactions: Runa
Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
Much has been written of the life and deeds of the Messiah, mostly in the Gospels, contemporary scribes, Roman and Greek sources.
His life, miracles, missionary work has given rise to a World Church, countless books and...SPECULATION as to him been an imaginary figure, rather than a real figure.

Charlatans of all colors, size, shape and stripes have forwarded written works of speculative nature denying his existence, knowing perfectly well that a controversial piece will arouse passions and of course sale of their works. These are individuals, that will rather deny their mothers, if the price is right.

It follows a logic, that without a live interview on BBC or CNN , there can be no proof of Christ being of flesh and blood, but more like a figment of public imagination. Damned be the movement he created, spanning Globe and continents. Ancient sources and accounts were being dismissed and accentuation being put on the speculative.

Deniers, ignore the works of Josephus, who was born in Jerusalem mere 4-6 years after Chrish's crucifiction and could have known facts directly from his immediate family- mother, father or even uncles and aunts. Josephus - author of the Jewish Wars and rebel commander from the 69-70 could have asked older neighbors and everyone in Jerusalem 15-20 years his seniors, that were eyewitnesses of the events surrounding Jesus, just shortly before he was born.

Josephus describes Jesus in a positive light and mentions his followers and the 'band of Christians' still present in his late years.Moreover, after his capture by the Romans he befriends the Supreme commander of the Roman Legions - Titus and spends time in Rome. He has an unprecedent proximity to Roman public records, more than Luke, Daniel, John, Matthew of the Gospels could have dreamed of.

And there are others, whose correspondence and works are mentioned in the extensive read contained in the link below. These are historians, public figures with first hand knowledge as opposed to modern scam artist and money grubbers, waiting to sell a book.
Enjoy reading the link.

Physical Description of Jesus
Personally I have no problem with accepting that Jesus existed, how much more one can say is another matter.
OK, this not my period, so I've only had a qucik check but the first three texts (Lentulus letter, Pilate letter and Archko) seem to be of very dubious authenticity, even the Catholic Encyclopedia dismissed Lentulus as 'apocryphal'.

Reactions: Runa and tomar

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The only Charlatan is the one who wrote your linked article, who had to resort to fraudulent documents to bolster a tenuous argument. I would submit that the writer knew the argument could not be substantiated because he/she refused to put their name as the author.

Reactions: Tammuz
Status
Closed