Operation Catapult: Britain's only option or a bloody betrayal?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The idea wasn't some damn fool last stand, but a break out.

The problem with that idea was that should a break-out fail, it would in short order become a hopeless last stand.

And even if a break-out was successful, bot the British and French forces would still have been in a terrible mess, and terribly exposed for whatever would come next.

Which was why at the time the recriminations against the British for deciding to try to withdraw from the pocket coming from the French military command and politicians only lasted a day or two, and then the French were in on the plan as well. They did materially aid in the effort rather considerably.
I'm no expert on this, but as I understand it, the BEF was in fact ordered to join up with the French again after the 20th May in accordance with the Weygand plan, and it was Gort who took the initiative in making the final withdrawal when he saw that this was doomed to failure, rather than on a fresh order from the politicians in London.

Dec 2014
Wales
A question I might ask, if the evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk was a betrayal, what does that make the evacuation of the 100,000 or so french troops from there? Cowardice? Should they have been shot on their return to France perhaps?

May 2018
Michigan
The idea wasn't some damn fool last stand, but a break out.

The problem with that idea was that should a break-out fail, it would in short order become a hopeless last stand.

And even if a break-out was successful, bot the British and French forces would still have been in a terrible mess, and terribly exposed for whatever would come next.

Which was why at the time the recriminations against the British for deciding to try to withdraw from the pocket coming from the French military command and politicians only lasted a day or two, and then the French were in on the plan as well. They did materially aid in the effort rather considerably.
That seems reasonable, and I'm glad the French got onboard.

However, I was curious if someone on the boards here was alleging that the Dunkirk evacuation was some kind of betrayal.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
Who said it was betrayal?
I think "betrayal" has been mentioned a few times.

Stab in the back. The British also wanted to trick the French into being their client state after the British abandoned the French. And they claimed the French just gave up and ignored the bloody fight the French gave

But if this blantant betrayal, whether justified or not, is okay with the british. I suppose we should not see a problem if we were to launch nuclear missiles at the British nuclear silos if Britain was at risk of falling to a renewed Russia. We wouldn’t want the risk of their nuclear missiles falling in the wrong hands. What is with just a few causalities right?
Ppl

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Dunkirk was brought in incidentally - after betraying us by running away at Dunkirk they shelled our ships; typical pattern of behaviour from perfidious Albion! But that was merely rhtorical of course, since everyone would recognize that the action at Mers-el-Kebir was a special case, as an indeed questionable action taken in exceptional circumstances. It really takes an effort of imagination to think ourselves back into the circumstances in which people had to make such terrible decisions.

Similar History Discussions