Ottoman Sources Online

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
This site has a thing or two to offer: Osmanlı Araştırmaları
For example, I finally discovered that "havas" is apparently plural of "has" :)o) here: Osmanlı Araştırmaları - Ansiklopedi
yes, those infamous Arabic broken plurals :D there is no other option than to memorize their plural forms too as well when you learn an Arabic word. if i can remember there are theoretically some 40+ formulas how those can be derived, though most of those formulas are rare and "only" around a dozen or so are used frequently. of course most Arabic words can only have 1 broken plural form, but rarely 2 different broken plural forms also exist for the same word.

Not exactly for Ottoman studies, but as an auxiliary this is a good site to search in multiply classical Arabic dictionaries (most of them monolingual, but there is also Lane's classic Arabic-English Lexicon), i just discovered this page a few months ago

Lisaan.net - Largest Classical Arabic Dictionaries - ????? ???? ??

Last edited:

Tsar

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
Serbia
yes, those infamous Arabic broken plurals :D there is no other option than to memorize their plural forms too as well when you learn an Arabic word. if i can remember there are theoretically some 40+ formulas how those can be derived, though most of those formulas are rare and "only" around a dozen or so are used frequently. of course most Arabic words can only have 1 broken plural form, but rarely 2 different broken plural forms also exist for the same word.

Not exactly for Ottoman studies, but as an auxiliary this is a good site to search in multiply classical Arabic dictionaries (most of them monolingual, but there is also Lane's classic Arabic-English Lexicon), i just discovered this page a few months ago

Lisaan.net - Largest Classical Arabic Dictionaries - ????? ???? ??
Even the broken plural isn't such a big deal (at least as long as you have a dictionary). The problem comes when you have a homonym, and you can't deduce from the context. For example, a bunch of dictionaries say that hevas means "eminent persons", but they don't indicate that it is a plural form of has.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Ankara Üniversitesi Kitaplar Veritabanı

online available books publıshed by the Ankara Üniversitesi

..:: e-Kitap ::..

lot of Ottoman literature available online, divan, mesnevi, tezkire, folk stories etc

Yazmalar ı've already added this once but with broken link, huge manuscript catalogue, also available are many digital copies if you pay :)

https://tez.yok.gov.tr/UlusalTezMerkezi/
Databases of National Thesis Center of the Council of Higher Education, many of the university theses are also downloadable

Ottoman Text Archive Project - Osmanlı Metin Arşiv Projesi
Ottoman Text Archive Project of the Bilkent Uni.

TÜRK EDEBİYATI İSİMLER SÖZLÜĞÜ

biographies of Turkish poets and writers from the beginning until the 20th century

Osmanlı Edebiyatı Çalışmaları Bibliyografyası Veritabanı

as its name also show it, a bibliography databese on Ottoman literature

Similar History Discussions