Ottomans win battle of Petrovaradin (1716)

Feb 2015
washington
Although the treaty of Carlowitz (1699) had left the Ottomans on the defensive they fiercely desired to avenged their defeat. After crushing Russia in 1711 and regaining the Morea from Venice in 1714-1715, Austria declared war on them in order to uphold their Venetian allies. A 150,000 man Ottoman army marched to confront the Austrians led by Eugene of Savoy(who had crushed the Ottomans at Zenta in 1697) with only 81,000 soldiers. The result was once again a crushing defeat and Eugene would take Belgrade the following year. After this the Ottomans would never again pose a threat to central europe.

But what if they won? To give the Ottomans a realistic chance of winning lets say Eugene of Savoy is severely sick and cannot take command. Assuming they do win(they have a large numerical superiority) would it be likely for them to regain Hungary? Unlike the War of the Grand alliance the Austrians were all alone this time, Venice had already been decisively defeated, Poland was a non-entity, and Russia was still involved in the Great Northern war. Would the Ottomans be bold enough to attempt a third siege of Vienna?

Jan 2009
In the Past
Do you think Austria could get assistance from France on the grounds of keeping a massive nation out of central Europe? Or would France let them drown, preferring a weak Austria even if it meant an empowered Ottomans?

Feb 2015
washington
Do you think Austria could get assistance from France on the grounds of keeping a massive nation out of central Europe? Or would France let them drown, preferring a weak Austria even if it meant an empowered Ottomans?
Id imagine France would want Austria to at least be somewhat weakened. Eugene and his austrian armies had massively frustrated France in the war of Spanish succesion and I imagine they would want some revenge.

Jan 2009
In the Past
Id imagine France would want Austria to at least be somewhat weakened. Eugene and his austrian armies had massively frustrated France in the war of Spanish succesion and I imagine they would want some revenge.
The lost of 87,000 men and Eugene would have been a big enough weakening in my opinion. I'd rather keep the powerful Ottomans out of range if possible. But then, I'm not the Sun King.

Jul 2015
Marietta, Georgia USA
France would prefer a weakened Austria so they could seize the Low Countries and possibly assist their partners in Spain with their Italian ambitions. Turkish conquest of Vienna would be to the benefit of France, Spain, and ultimately Prussia. However, it would then become a matter of how long the Turks could hold on to Vienna in light of rising anti-Turkish feeling among the native population as well as the surrounding States.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Weren't France and the Ottoman Empire allies or at least friends in 1716, though?

Feb 2015
washington
Weren't France and the Ottoman Empire allies or at least friends in 1716, though?
Except for Napoleons invasion of Egypt and WW1 France and the ottomans were almost always on friendly terms. During the war of the polish succession 1733-1738, the French tried to get the Ottomans and the Swedes to join them but to no avail. The French would not care in the slightest if the Austrians were defeated.