Our children's obsession with zombies.

Mar 2014
Canterbury
I don't think it's really 'children' obsessed with zombies, more young and fairly-young adults. And while the similarities are there, normally the zombies are 'the other;' the viewer is on the side of those who are defeating them, or is the person defeating them in the case of games. Not the other way around.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
It seems to me that vampires and werewolves the teen obsession 5 years ago and wizards about 10 years ago. So it is likely that some other mythical creature will be in vogue in 3 years or so.

It appears that Hollywood is responsible for a major component of these trends.

Fox

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
Korea
Zombies (and robots) present a situation where one can present something which would otherwise be mass murder in an emotionally and ethically unambiguous way. "It's fine to kill them, they're just zombies. If anything, it's a kindness. Kill all you like." Like Edratman suggests, Hollywood production choices are surely a bigger factor here than anything like 19th century literature.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Since the beginning of time, humanity has been obsessed with the dead. While many relationships were benevolent, there are just as many examples of fear and concern. People appeased the dead in many ways and tried to weight them down, dismember them, etc, so they could not come back. It could be compounded by a lack of spirituality. many young people have no sense of their spirit. So, the ghosts and phantasms of the past are replaced with the corporeal living dead.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Zombies (and robots) present a situation where one can present something which would otherwise be mass murder in an emotionally and ethically unambiguous way. "It's fine to kill them, they're just zombies. If anything, it's a kindness. Kill all you like." Like Edratman suggests, Hollywood production choices are surely a bigger factor here than anything like 19th century literature.
This is the largest factor to me. There are no longer as many politically safe targets, Nazis, undead and other mythological creatures, snobs, and psychopaths.

A deeper fascination with death underlays most human psyche but that is not responsive to trends.

Sep 2013
Ireland
LOL Fox you'd make sense of anything....that's why I like ya

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
It seems to me that vampires and werewolves the teen obsession 5 years ago and wizards about 10 years ago. So it is likely that some other mythical creature will be in vogue in 3 years or so.

It appears that Hollywood is responsible for a major component of these trends.
The first zombie film can be taken loosely as "watch out for the evil soviets and commies in our midsts." Now it had become a the satire on the modern life how a modern man gets up goes to work at a dead end job, eats lunch, works some more for a moron that does not appreciate his labor, return home, eat dinner, watch TV, go to bed, and repeat the cycle over and over again until you die. It is easy to see it as a zombie existence.

Sep 2015
Savannah
I don't think it's really 'children' obsessed with zombies, more young and fairly-young adults. And while the similarities are there, normally the zombies are 'the other;' the viewer is on the side of those who are defeating them, or is the person defeating them in the case of games. Not the other way around.
I get that-But what if the parents are the 'other', living drone-like and vicariously through theIt children?

Similar History Discussions