Our greatest founding father?

MrStoff1989

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Tennessee
Heh, I got somethin' for this. There was one founding father that we never hear about, never read about, and maybe hear about if we dig deep enough. He wasn't a white man at all. He was a Native American. He taught the Congress about unity, and that if they banded together as one, they could win their freedom. He did this by taking a single arrow and breaking it over his leg. The Continental Congress was not very impressed. He then took 13 arrows to represent the 13 original colonies, and tried to break them. They barely even splintered. With that, he handed the arrows to Benjamin Franklin and remarked "Fight as One" or something of that nature. This is why we see the 13 arrows in the claw of the eagle on the back of a dollar bill. If that doesn't signify the founding of our nation, I don't know what does.

Jul 2006
Virginia
Heh, I got somethin' for this. There was one founding father that we never hear about, never read about, and maybe hear about if we dig deep enough. He wasn't a white man at all. He was a Native American. He taught the Congress about unity, and that if they banded together as one, they could win their freedom. He did this by taking a single arrow and breaking it over his leg. The Continental Congress was not very impressed. He then took 13 arrows to represent the 13 original colonies, and tried to break them. They barely even splintered. With that, he handed the arrows to Benjamin Franklin and remarked "Fight as One" or something of that nature. This is why we see the 13 arrows in the claw of the eagle on the back of a dollar bill. If that doesn't signify the founding of our nation, I don't know what does.
Very interesting. May I inquire as to what source this is from?

MrStoff1989

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Tennessee
I saw a video on Youtube about it actually, So the validity may be a bit off. It made alot of sense to me at the time. I could even rule it as legend.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
So many did so much not any one man could claim the high mantle of 'the greatest', but I feel Thomas Jefferson has a strong grip of preeminent importance.

Jul 2008
USA
George Washington. First he led the Continental Army during eight years of serious hardship & struggle, actually winning the independence Jefferson wrote about.

Later, when he really wanted to retire to Mount Vernon, he understood his duty & led the fledgling nation as its first president, establishing many precedents along the way, some of which remain today.

His name became synonymous with the Roman Cincinnatus- both a successful general & statesman.