Out of all of the US VPs who never became US Prez, which VPs do you think would have made the best Presidents?

Jun 2017
maine
Breckenridge, while qualified, wasn't exactly my kind of President; he was pro-slavery--and vehemently so.

What's Gerry notable for other than the gerrymander?
Gerry was a delegate at the Constitutional Convention; he was one of three who refused to sign the final document. His objections were overcome with the Bill of Rights. He was also involved in the XYZ affair as one of the US delegates.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
For me this is hard. By far the most powerful vice president was Dick Cheney. I'm not a fan but if you liked the GW Bush administration, you would have Cheney as making the best president since he practically was president. Personally my favorite VP is Walter Mondale and I think he would have made a better president than a few actual post WW2 presidents.

With exception of Martin Van Burin (who became president) all VPs before Nixon were given little to do except be there to replace the incumbent.

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Another choice might be (Thomas R. Marshall - Wikipedia). He served under Wilson and was successful governor of Indiana. When Wilson became ill,. his wife and his doctor cut him off from outside scrutiny and blocked the VP's access to information. They essentially made executive decisions on their own. The VP did what he could, but the WH staff took their orders from Mrs Wilson.

He had a sense of humor which Wilson did not like. He isolated Marshall to avoid hearing his quips such as "What this country really needs is a good 5 cent cigar!"

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For me this is hard. By far the most powerful vice president was Dick Cheney. I'm not a fan but if you liked the GW Bush administration, you would have Cheney as making the best president since he practically was president. Personally my favorite VP is Walter Mondale and I think he would have made a better president than a few actual post WW2 presidents.

With exception of Martin Van Burin (who became president) all VPs before Nixon were given little to do except be there to replace the incumbent.
What notable things did Van Buren do as VP?

Another choice might be (Thomas R. Marshall - Wikipedia). He served under Wilson and was successful governor of Indiana. When Wilson became ill,. his wife and his doctor cut him off from outside scrutiny and blocked the VP's access to information. They essentially made executive decisions on their own. The VP did what he could, but the WH staff took their orders from Mrs Wilson.

He had a sense of humor which Wilson did not like. He isolated Marshall to avoid hearing his quips such as "What this country really needs is a good 5 cent cigar!"
Yeah, IMHO, Wilson should have been pressured to resign following his 1919 stroke.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
An Aaron Burr presidency would have been interesting, his accomplishments are overshadowed by his duel with Hamilton and often baseless accusations.
Even if you accept that Burr didn't technically do anything treasonous in his western adventures, he was a lunatic warmonger and would-be filibuster who wanted to be King of Mexico. No thanks, people do not pay enough attention to how insane his career after shooting Hamilton was.