Out of all of the US VPs who never became US Prez, which VPs do you think would have made the best Presidents?

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Even if you accept that Burr didn't technically do anything treasonous in his western adventures, he was a lunatic warmonger and would-be filibuster who wanted to be King of Mexico. No thanks, people do not pay enough attention to how insane his career after shooting Hamilton was.
Interestingly enough, Hamilton himself came across this same way to President Adams during their fairly well-known confrontation in New Jersey in 1800. This meeting effectively stripped Hamilton of much of the influence he still had, which was considerable. Hamilton wanted to attack French and Spanish possessions as a part of the Quasi War, and Adams gave him one of the greatest ever political 'no sells.'

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Interestingly enough, Hamilton himself came across this same way to President Adams during their fairly well-known confrontation in New Jersey in 1800. This meeting effectively stripped Hamilton of much of the influence he still had, which was considerable. Hamilton wanted to attack French and Spanish possessions as a part of the Quasi War, and Adams gave him one of the greatest ever political 'no sells.'
I'd say it was the Alien and Sedition Acts that ended the viability of the entire Federalist Party.

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
Even if you accept that Burr didn't technically do anything treasonous in his western adventures, he was a lunatic warmonger and would-be filibuster who wanted to be King of Mexico. No thanks, people do not pay enough attention to how insane his career after shooting Hamilton was.
could you briefly outline for me? It's outside anything I've ever read about

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
True, it’s just that the example I brought was particularly entertaining.
I can understand that, but I think Aaron Burr is more entertaining than Hamilton. Apparently, that may be controversial in the northeast. Since the Federalists/Hamiltonians have made a big comeback since then in New York, it is Hamilton who has the Broadway show, while Burr is only the subject of a book by Gore Vidal.

And it was entertainment behind my endorsing Burr, because, as one of two to hold the office of Vice President and who shot people, Burr was the better marksman, hitting his opponent, while the other hit his friend. Then I realized that other Vice President was President, sort of.

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I can understand that, but I think Aaron Burr is more entertaining than Hamilton. Apparently, that may be controversial in the northeast. Since the Federalists/Hamiltonians have made a big comeback since then in New York, it is Hamilton who has the Broadway show, while Burr is only the subject of a book by Gore Vidal.

And it was entertainment behind my endorsing Burr, because, as one of two to hold the office of Vice President and who shot people, Burr was the better marksman, hitting his opponent, while the other hit his friend. Then I realized that other Vice President was President, sort of.
There may be something to be said for that. Also, nice point about VP's shooting people. That got a morbid chuckle out of me.

Jun 2017
Marblehead, MA
Charles Dawes, Calvin Coolidge’s vp. He is the only vp to ever co-write a #1 hit song. He wrote the melody to All in the Game, the Tommy Edwards 1959 record. This fact alone makes him more remarkable than most vp’s.