Out of all the different religious sects and minority communities in Lebanon, which one was France's main ally and client?

Jun 2019
California
I've been reading about the Alawites and I'm not sure if they were France's main ally in Lebanon. I know that the maronite catholics and orthodox christians played a major role along with the Druze in Lebanese politics, but I am uncertain of who was France's main ally during this time. What do you fellow historians think?

Reactions: Futurist

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Everybody rebelled against the French mandate rule, except the Maronite Christians who found themselves with an unexpected shot at self-determination in the state of Grand Liban the French created (what later became Lebanon). The French created another five states in their mandate territory, and mostly following secterian lines (the Alawites got one of those), but no one liked it much, and the French spent a lot of time putting down armed rebellions.

Jun 2019
California
Everybody rebelled against the French mandate rule, except the Maronite Christians who found themselves with an unexpected shot at self-determination in the state of Grand Liban the French created (what later became Lebanon). The French created another five states in their mandate territory, and mostly following secterian lines (the Alawites got one of those), but no one liked it much, and the French spent a lot of time putting down armed rebellions.
Ok, of the following, Druze, Orthodox Christians, Maronite Catholics and Alawites who was France's main ally and client in lebanon?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Ok, of the following, Druze, Orthodox Christians, Maronite Catholics and Alawites who was France's main ally and client in lebanon?
Both types of Christians, I'm presuming. AFAIK, the Alawites were also pro-French but there weren't very many of them in Lebanon. Rather, they were located north of Lebanon--in Syria.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
I've been reading about the Alawites and I'm not sure if they were France's main ally in Lebanon. I know that the maronite catholics and orthodox christians played a major role along with the Druze in Lebanese politics, but I am uncertain of who was France's main ally during this time. What do you fellow historians think?
The maronites of course.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Lebanon exists largely as an affect of a somewhat Quixotic French idea of the times of having a Christian majority state in the Mid East.
The French made it too large, though. It might have been better to make it smaller and more focused on Mount Lebanon.

Reactions: Blair