Overlooked books in 20th century

Apr 2016
Brighton
Interested in collecting some examples. Recently reviewed C.E. Montague's 'Disenchantment' from 1922 : A journalist who served in World War 1 writing about his own observations, and seemed to be years ahead of his time. A few years later Robert Graves' Goodbye To All That' , Richard Aldington's 'Death of a Hero', Sassoon's George Sherston novels etc. appeared. The influence of such war memoir/fictionalised war memoir, along with war poetry, still shapes how the Great War is viewed. But the founding father of 'Disenchantment' got overlooked in the process.

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
Carrying on the theme of war and filling a gap I see in your list I'd say Dispatches by Michael Herr (1977). The greatest account/memoir of 20th century war I've ever read. If you want visceral and taken there, this is it for me, even knowing some parts were given artistic license. I'd imagine most memoirs have to greater or lesser degrees, memory and memory of war being what it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dispatches...42523-4062752?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

A source for film makers from Apocalypse Now to Full Metal Jacket and beyond.

Last edited:
Apr 2016
Brighton
Ah thanks, an interesting choice. I have read a fair amount of war memoir from World War 1 , including Sassoon, Graves, Blunden, Vera Brittain, Aldington, but have not related this genre to Vietnam based writing.
Will check 'Dispatches' out.

Carrying on the theme of war and filling a gap I see in your list I'd say Dispatches by Michael Herr (1977). The greatest account/memoir of 20th century war I've ever read. If you want visceral and taken there, this is it for me, even knowing some parts were given artistic license. I'd imagine most memoirs have to greater or lesser degrees, memory and memory of war being what it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dispatches...42523-4062752?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

A source for film makers from Apocalypse Now to Full Metal Jacket and beyond.

Similar History Discussions