Academic Guidance Oxford University?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Hello all,

I don't know if there are many career historians on here, but I've had a dream for quite some time that I'd like to get feedback on. I'm currently a 2nd year history student at Concordia University (AKA, that other university in Montreal that's not McGill). I'm in an Honours program, with a 3.92 GPA out of 4.00. I'm on track to get my B.A and B.Th (Arts and Theology, respectively) in late 2020/spring of 2021. I plan on doing my Masters at Concordia as well, because my adviser is superb. I want to, however, push on to get my PhD, preferably at a school in England. My historical expertise is in 17th century England, but more specifically, the reigns of Charles II and James II (1660-1690). Perhaps it's too early to be planning at this point, but would it be feasible for me to get a Rhodes for my doctoral studies? How would one suggest that I go about this? Oxford obviously has a superb history and divinity/theology faculty, so it would be perfect for me. I'm also quite a huge fan of Cecil Rhodes, so it's a win-win situation.

Thank you for your help.

-DoY

PS: Despite what some people have had to say about me on this humble forum, I am a successful, good, and legitimate historian-in-training. Doing well is the best revenge.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Rhodes scholarships certainly exist, but it's not the only funding out there. Ertegun Scholarships are not as well-known, but I've had a couple of friends who have held one in the past and they'll certainly cover your way in Oxford. There are also various other things and you should regularly and carefully check the Oxford fees and funding page. I'm not entirely certain of your, ahem, citizen status, but a doctoral SSHRC goes a long way towards covering Oxford fees. (That said, I was twice awarded doctoral SSHRC grants for studying in Oxford and I turned them down for other opportunities, and in no small part because the exchange between the Canadian dollar and British pound was horrid.)

Now, the bad news. Take all this with a grain of salt: I've *nearly* studied in Oxford but never did, and while I have numerous colleagues who went through the university, my personal experience there is limited. The university needs money. One way to get that money is from the outrageous fees that non-UK and non-EU students have to pay. There is very little funding available at the MA level, and your odds of getting a funded D.Phil seem to be much higher if you're coming from inside the system. In this sense you may need to eat the cost of the MA in the hope of a better ride for the next degree. In all honesty, Gates Scholarships and AHRC schemes seem to make Cambridge a more attractive place from a financial point of view, although again, I'm biased since I lived and studied there.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
Bravo for pursuing your dream.
I guess I would be a career historian, although was forced to give it up years ago, obliged to enter the rat race in pursuit of theFfilthy Lucre.

Oxford or Cambridge would be magnificent M'lady ;)

Have you been to the UK before?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Rhodes scholarships certainly exist, but it's not the only funding out there. Ertegun Scholarships are not as well-known, but I've had a couple of friends who have held one in the past and they'll certainly cover your way in Oxford. There are also various other things and you should regularly and carefully check the Oxford fees and funding page. I'm not entirely certain of your, ahem, citizen status, but a doctoral SSHRC goes a long way towards covering Oxford fees. (That said, I was twice awarded doctoral SSHRC grants for studying in Oxford and I turned them down for other opportunities, and in no small part because the exchange between the Canadian dollar and British pound was horrid.)

Now, the bad news. Take all this with a grain of salt: I've *nearly* studied in Oxford but never did, and while I have numerous colleagues who went through the university, my personal experience there is limited. The university needs money. One way to get that money is from the outrageous fees that non-UK and non-EU students have to pay. There is very little funding available at the MA level, and your odds of getting a funded D.Phil seem to be much higher if you're coming from inside the system. In this sense you may need to eat the cost of the MA in the hope of a better ride for the next degree. In all honesty, Gates Scholarships and AHRC schemes seem to make Cambridge a more attractive place from a financial point of view, although again, I'm biased since I lived and studied there.
Thank you for the resources and information! Invaluable.

I'm an American citizen, by the way, not Canadian.

Bravo for pursuing your dream.
I guess I would be a career historian, although was forced to give it up years ago, obliged to enter the rat race in pursuit of theFfilthy Lucre.

Oxford or Cambridge would be magnificent M'lady ;)

Have you been to the UK before?
Awful. I know I'll have to participate in the rat race before I can actually get to a professorial position, but it's something wonderful to work towards. I'll definitely look into Cambridge, as well. I've heard good things about the University of Exeter, as well. And no, I haven't. I've never been off the continent, truly...

@World Focker https://historum.com/members/world-focker.21084/ was an Oxbridge Grad IIRC. He hasn't been on in a while.

I assume you know that it's de-rigueur to wear tweed at all times and drink tea with one's pinky pointed at the correct angle?
A shame. :coldsweat:

And of course I know that. You've known me for six years now. ;)

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I assume you know that it's de-rigueur to wear tweed at all times and drink tea with one's pinky pointed at the correct angle?
I recently visited Oxford with Rick Steves (PBS) by way of TV and I can say that that it is not necessary to wear tweed all the time. I saw many tweedless people. As for the pinky thing, the TV resolution was not that good but there was more beer than tea.

BTW I wish the Duchess of York success as a professional historian.:)

Last edited:
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
I recently visited Oxford with Rick Steves (PBS) by way of TV and I can say that that it is not necessary to wear tweed all the time. I saw many tweedless people. As for the pinky thing, the TV resolution was not that good but there was more beer than tea.

BTW I wish the Duchess of York success as a professional historian.:)
There's a great documentary about Cambridge here:

I think he actually attended Cambridge too IIRC.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
I assume that you've taken at least one other language in your History program (I did at Uvic), I might guess if you're in Quebec it would be French? Did you learn any other European languages?

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions