Pay of a legionary legate

Mar 2015
Europe
How much were legionary legates normally paid under 5 Good Emperors?
I´ve seen different estimates.
For reference, remember that the pay of a legionary was 12 aurei per year from Domitian to Severi.
One estimate states the pay of Proconsul of Asia as HS 1 000 000, meaning 10 000 aurei, and estimates the pay of also senatorial legionary legates at 5000 aurei.
But centurions got 200 aurei per year, primus pilus 800 aurei... and I´ve seen estimates giving the pay of legionary legate at mere 1000 aurei or less.

Under 1000 aurei to 5000 aurei is pretty wide spread. Are there any grounds to estimate what the real sum was?

Jul 2016
USA
Legates were Senators, having already head magistrate level appointments. Appointed by the Senate to assist a magistrate command an army. They would receive a portion of the shares of pillage/plunder, sale of slaves, etc., but I don't believe a legate had a salary, nor did other magistrates or specially govt appointed positions like military tribunes.

"One estimate states the pay of Proconsul of Asia as HS 1 000 000, meaning 10 000 aurei, and estimates the pay of also senatorial legionary legates at 5000 aurei."

Where are you getting this from?

Mar 2015
Europe
"One estimate states the pay of Proconsul of Asia as HS 1 000 000, meaning 10 000 aurei, and estimates the pay of also senatorial legionary legates at 5000 aurei."

Where are you getting this from?
Cassius Dio — Epitome of Book 79
Cassius Dio said:
To Fronto he would entrust neither Africa, which he had drawn by lot, since the Africans protested against his appointment, nor yet Asia, though he had at first transferred him to that province. As for the salary, however, that went with the position, — one million sesterces, — he proposed that that should be given to Fronto while he remained at home.

Similar History Discussions