Peacetime military forces discussions

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Some may ask: since the world is mostly at peace, what is the point of maintaining military forces?
I may like to quote this from Liu Ji's A Hundred Surprise Strategies
"天下無事,不可廢武,慮有弗庭,無以捍禦 。"
(Even during peacetime, the military must not be abolished due to worry of helplessness during instability.)
Of course, readiness for crises (natural or human) is certainly one point of maintaining military forces during peacetime.
Do the military perform any other useful functions at peace?

Jan 2016
Scranton, Pennsylvania (that's right, ladies...I'm
Drive up budgets and cause such brilliant rhetoric as "You want to cut spending? You must hate country X". I say this as a very, very proud veteran of the American forces.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
A country without a standing military would be one with absolutely no influence upon the world stage, at the complete mercy of more powerful nations' foreign policy, and hamstrung in the event a major war was thrust upon it. A nation doesn't necessarily need to choose to go to war in order to end up in one.

Some countries would quite literally vanish shortly after disbanding their military. Think South Korea, Taiwan, or Israel would exist without a strong military deterrent?

Last edited:
Jun 2015
Scotland
" If you wish for peace, prepare for war" Can't remember were the quote came from but seems to be pretty sage advice to me!

Jan 2016
Woodside, Perthshire
A country without a standing military would be one with absolutely no influence upon the world stage, at the complete mercy of more powerful nations' foreign policy, and hamstrung in the event a major war was thrust upon it. A nation doesn't necessarily need to choose to go to war in order to end up in one.

Some countries would quite literally vanish shortly after disbanding their military. Think South Korea, Taiwan, or Israel would exist without a strong military deterrent?
Good examples, and surely good enough to discredit the concept of unilateral disarmament ( not just nuclear disarmament).
Mike

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Unfortunately true.