Peninsular War

May 2017
France
There is about the wars of the interior a fantastic littérature:Balzac "Les Chouans",Hugo "Quatre vingt treize"......In 1993, i have been invited at the ceremony of the exécutions of 1793,on the Concord Place,by the ANF,and at the historic show of "Le Puy du Fou",in Vendee,by the friends of Mr de Villiers.
As i passed all my leisures in the military archives of Vincennes,i have offered to these gentlemen the reproductions of most documents.The usual military encyclopedies of Vincennes are excellent.After,you can concentrate your investigations on a special subject.Example,one of my parent has been fusilied in 1794 in Carentoir by the "blues".I have discovered that he had tried with 1500 royalists to make a putsh in Lozère !
Catholic and full of jalousy against the royalists of Vendee (army catholic and royal of the West) he participated with Charrier at the creation of the "very catholic and very royal army of Gévaudan".Mende was occupied like la Roche sur Yon (the two only préfectures lost by the Republicans).The republican reaction was terrible:each department of the center sent a battalion,and it was a disaster.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
there also was the provence insurection , Lyons riots and the Corsica revolt
that last was the first campaign of Napoleon and was a failure

May 2017
France
The insurection of Provence,except in Toulon, was not very serious.The fantasist Earl de Saillans de Polastron had sent the convocations by recomanded letters transported by the national post from castle to castle….The postmen opened the letters,read everything and informed the republicans....The day of the concentration in Jales,all the members were arrested like children......

Reactions: sparky
Feb 2019
Serbia
there also was the provence insurection , Lyons riots and the Corsica revolt
that last was the first campaign of Napoleon and was a failure
Napoleon fought in the Provence Insurrection, not in the Corsican Campaign, so the first was the first campaign of Napoleon.

In Corsica the locals revolted in 1794 to support the British during their invasion of Corsica. Corsica was important because it could provide a good base for the British fleet to blockade Toulon from. By 1796 the British abandoned the Mediterranean and withdrew their navy to Gibraltar and elsewhere. With the sentiment changing Corsica sort of revolted again and returned to France.

As far as I know Toulon was repressed in a blood bath
After the French Republicans took Toulon many French Royalists tried to evacuate the city and jump aboard the coalition ships as they knew what was coming for them. Some odd 15.000 managed to escape but those who did not were either massacred or arrested, some executed later. Toulon was effectively given to the soldiers to rampage in it and the city suffered huge damage with its population either evacuated or massacred. The siege wasn't necessarily big and the coalition simply had no way to hold on to it, the Royalists revolted before the British could bring enough to support them and most of the other coalition allies didn't send too many soldiers. The French fleet was burned though not completely destroyed, the coalition had a chance to end the war in the Mediterranean before it even began by burning the French fleet but they didn't destroy it completely.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
there was a first episode of brutal repression , this made the arrival of the Allies most welcome and their departure a great sorrow
I confused Corsica with the 1792 expedition to Sardinia , it was a complete shamble and the first command of Napoleon
the unimportant nature of this campaign and its miserable failure made Napoleon admirers sweep it under the carpet

Napoleon

Last edited:
Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson
Feb 2019
Serbia
I confused Corsica with the 1792 expedition to Sardinia , it was a complete shamble and the first command of Napoleon
the unimportant nature of this campaign and its miserable failure made Napoleon admirers sweep it under the carpet
If this is the case it changes the meaning of your earlier post entirely as the Corsican Campaign was a different event.

I was talking about what happened in Toulon after the French Republicans took it, I know about the sentiment in Toulon before the uprising.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Indeed , the original mobbing of the city was a bloodless affairs by the Girondins and royalists
the Convention was ruthless in its reprisals

May 2017
France
The soldiers of the Convention did no quarter because they thought that the royalists were the agents of the "foreigners".In Vincennes there are a lot of documents about the slaughters organized in Vendee and in Bretany.

Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the convention thought of itself as under existential threat , which was correct
they went for an orgy of extremism with the motto
if you are not for us , you are against us and we will eradicate you , totally
negotiating wasn't their forte
political control was all , the armies themselves were under commissar control ,looking over the shoulders of the commanding officers

are the Vincennes archives public ?