People in History Who Faked their Deaths

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I wondered what on earth this was going to be about when I saw the abbreviated title. Anyway, John Stonehouse for Brits of a certain age.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Sherlock Holmes (although non-historical) is the only one I can think of with any cultural impact. And even that wasn't a fake death until the public called for his resurrection.

And I've just remembered Juliet, in Shakespeare's play, who pretended to be dead (with tragic consequences). But again, non-historical.

But the best faked deaths will be those we don't know about. So who can really say?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Not particularly historical, but sure notable ...

In Italy we have got a guy, Carlo Bucocchi ... who is this guy? Who was ...

He faked his death to avoid to pay taxes and it worked for 45 years [in 1968 the Italian tax agency received a declaration saying he died by heart attack], until he died for real.

He was a robber, an assassin and a professional poker player ... let's say that he played a remarkable bluff!

Ah, he has died because a real heart attack ...

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Not particularly historical, but sure notable ...

In Italy we have got a guy, Carlo Bucocchi ... who is this guy? Who was ...

He faked his death to avoid to pay taxes and it worked for 45 years [in 1968 the Italian tax agency received a declaration saying he died by heart attack], until he died for real.

He was a robber, an assassin and a professional poker player ... let's say that he played a remarkable bluff!

Ah, he has died because a real heart attack ...
They should make a movie about this guy. :D

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
What are some examples of people who faked their deaths and why?
Most of these will be conspiracy theories. People who want others to believe they're dead aren't just going to reveal themselves to everyone

Oct 2015
Norway
During WWII a man in my region of Norway fled to England. Before he escaped he faked his death in a bisycle accident. He found a stretch of road with a steep cliff straight into the sea on the side of the road. He threw his bicycle off teh road followed by some lingonberry to simulate blood. People saw the bisycle and the "blood" and assumed the the dead body was claimed by the deep fjord.
He got a tombstone at the local cemetery while he lived in the UK. After the war he returned to his home town where he lived for many years. When he died he was buried again at the same cemetary where the first tombstone still stood. He's the only person I know of with two graves in the same cemetary :lol: