People with extremely funny names

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which people (pre-1991) have extremely funny names--especially when viewed from the perspective of someone with historical knowledge?

Personally, I could think of Dr. Gay Hitler--son of George Washington Hitler:

Life in Ohio, a Continuing Series

Those Hitlers were actually decent, hardworking, well-mannered residents of Pickaway, Ohio.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Personally I find amusing the nobles with ridiculous surnames [they should be noble aristocratic surnames!].

What about the great Sir John Duck, First Baronet? [Mayor of Durham in XVII century CE].

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Supposedly, Schicklgruber sounds funny when spoken and heard by Germans. This feeds speculation that Hitler would have gone nowhere in German politics if his ancestors hadn't changed their family name to Hitler. Passing Schicklgruber through an on-line translator I get 'man from fancy pit.'

It's a good thing Grover Cleveland finished his career before Sesame Street. I don't know how many people would take him seriously today.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Supposedly, Schicklgruber sounds funny when spoken and heard by Germans. This feeds speculation that Hitler would have gone nowhere in German politics if his ancestors hadn't changed their family name to Hitler. Passing Schicklgruber through an on-line translator I get 'man from fancy pit.'

It's a good thing Grover Cleveland finished his career before Sesame Street. I don't know how many people would take him seriously today.
Grover Norquist has managed to make a name for himself in spite of his first name, though.

Personally I find amusing the nobles with ridiculous surnames [they should be noble aristocratic surnames!].

What about the great Sir John Duck, First Baronet? [Mayor of Durham in XVII century CE].
He should have changed his last name to Duck-Quack. ;)

Many years ago when I was a kid :), there was a prominent M.D. in my town named Dr. Smucker Goho. This is true.
What does Goho mean?