People with extremely funny names

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Vlad the Drowned. He's called that because his name was Vlad and he drowned.
Oh, old Germanic king names... :)

"Charles the Swimmer", aka Charlemagne before he made it big.

Erik Priesthater, king of Norway. His reign occurred at the same time Norway had spat with the Church in Rome. Nothing really indicated Erik himself hated priests. He was only 11 becoming king.

Erik Lisp-and-Lame, king of Sweden. Bit like Richard III it's a bit unclear if he really had a speech impediment or walked with a limp. His enemies certainly claimed so.

Sven the Sacrificer (Blot-Sven), last pagan king Sweden.

Erik Bloodaxe, king of Norway, not a guy to get on the wrong side of.

Reactions: Offspring

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Bullrush Voivode (sounds funnier in Romanian).

He was a good guy who had an incredible amount of bad luck in his life. He was the son of the voivode of Moldavia, but his father was overthrown, so he was imprisoned when he was 12. When he was 16, he was released from prison and become the new ruler of Moldavia. He was actually a pretty capable man, but he was twice overthrown by the ruler of Wallachia, the Tartars had several raids, the Ottomans had demands that were hard to meet, there was also a plague and a famine (that got him his moniker). He managed to form an alliance with the Ottomans and the Tartars against the Cossacks. During the campaign, he died from typhoid.
The ensuing famine accounts for Ştefăniţă's moniker: resources would have been so scarce that people resorted to grinding typha, and baking it as bread.

Last edited:

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
I'm not really sure what Schweinsteiger means, I heard various interpretations (person who sleeps in the pigsty, person who mounts pigs / pig-climber, a pig overseer, etc.) and I interacted with Germans who find it funny.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
´Schickl´ has nothing to do with ´fancy´, but the translator read it as ´schick´ what indeed corresponds to ´fancy´. The meaning of ´schickl´ is unknown. ´Gruber´ means something like ´someone digging a pit´. The name sounds funny to Germans and would certainly have hindered Hitler's career. Names are very important for careers anyway. Imagine, for example, that Mozart, like one of his composing contemporaries, was called ´Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf´ . Chopin's music would also be ruined if its author were to bear this clattering name. I myself adopted the name of my Asian wife, because I didn't like my German name (actually from French).
I always imagined that Schickl sounded like Shekel. Thus I imagined that Sheicklgruber might mean "money-grubber".

Definition of money-grubber

: a person bent on accumulating money
Definition of MONEY-GRUBBER

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
In middle high german Steiger meant a foreman, later miner ,now it is a climber or idd something ugly as a slang starting with f letter. Combined with Schwein / well the word is the same in old high and low german / old english. Really odd combination.

Reactions: Offspring