People with extremely funny names

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
In Hungary Szili/Szily is a fairly common family name and it is pronounced like the English word silly (Hungarian sz is pronounced as English s) though there is zero connection to it in meaning (in Hungarian it means of Szil, a placename, which then comes from the common noun szil meaning elm tree)

One notable Szili Katalin Szili - Wikipedia

There is a former Hungarian athlete called Adrián Annus - Wikipedia
whose family name can cause misunderstandings in the English speaking world I think :)

I'm not sure about the etymology of his family name, though in Hungarian s is pronounced as sh

One of the most common Hungarian family names is Kiss Kiss (surname) - Wikipedia meaning "small", but again in Hungarian it is pronounced with a double sh sound.

It is not that common, but I've actually encountered some people (both living and a few historical) whose family name was Troll :) I assume it is German origin.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In Hungary Szili/Szily is a fairly common family name and it is pronounced like the English word silly (Hungarian sz is pronounced as English s) though there is zero connection to it in meaning (in Hungarian it means of Szil, a placename, which then comes from the common noun szil meaning elm tree)

One notable Szili Katalin Szili - Wikipedia

There is a former Hungarian athlete called Adrián Annus - Wikipedia
whose family name can cause misunderstandings in the English speaking world I think :)

I'm not sure about the etymology of his family name, though in Hungarian s is pronounced as sh

One of the most common Hungarian family names is Kiss Kiss (surname) - Wikipedia meaning "small", but again in Hungarian it is pronounced with a double sh sound.

It is not that common, but I've actually encountered some people (both living and a few historical) whose family name was Troll :) I assume it is German origin.
Kiss (pronounced Kishsh) sounds like a Jewish last name. It probably isn't, but it nevertheless sounds like one.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Kiss (pronounced Kishsh) sounds like a Jewish last name. It probably isn't, but it nevertheless sounds like one.
Yes there is also a Jewish family name Kisch, like Egon Kisch - Wikipedia it is pronounced the same way as the Hungarian Kis(s), but the Jewish name apparently derives from a Czech placename Chyše - Wikipedia and not related to the Hungarian surname.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
German names such as Goethe (and anything with Gött-) is funny in Turkish because it means A*s in a very rude way (Goethe-Göte means to the(or into the) a*s in turkish...)
There was even such a company who opened shop office and had to change the name.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
Some funny ottoman officials' names:

Öküz Mehmet paşa (Öķüz is ox or oxen) because he was a big man(and is a reason to offend people today, it also means someone rude in a very rude way)

Baltacı ahmet paşa- baltacı means axemen lierally, cheater(to partner) in slang

Atsız(someone without a horse) was a very common name in early ottomans..

Yemişçi hasan pasha (the snacks-seller)

Kuyucu murat paşa(the well-digger..)

Tabanıyassı mehmet paşa(the flat footed)

Hezarpare ahmet paşa(a thousand pieces..)

Boynuyaralı Mehmed Pasha(the wounded neck)

Sürmeli Ali Pasha( with make ups..)

Daltaban Mustafa Pasha( the barefooted)

Kavanoz Ahmed Pasha ( my favourite, it meams ahmet paşa the JAR..)

Cenaze Hasan Pasha( hasan pasha the funeral)

In ottoman times these nicknames were stuck and known more than peoples actual names