Peron coming into power in Argentina

Nov 2010
It seems to me that Peron came to power as a result of the mixture of the Latin American political/economic culture in existence in Argentina with the European immigrants (particularly Italian) coming to the country and the Great Depression with all its effects. In other words, when the Italian (and other) immigrants came to Argentina, they tended to be anarchist or syndicalist or what have you, and wanted to integrate themselves there and get full rights, etc. They were put down for a long time by the old conservative elites (representative of at least part of Latin American political culture) that engineered the coup of 1930 in the midst of the Depression, and that paved the way for Peron's popularity among the descendants of European immigrants. Is that a fair way of portraying the lead-on to Peronism, and why Argentina's political development was different than with many other Latin American countries (given that not nearly as many immigrants - particularly Italian - proportionally came to those other countries)?

If that's so, then even a scenario where Yrigoyen is dead sooner or where Ortiz is president for longer may merely buy some time in terms of avoiding a coup or what not - by a few to several years. Then, Argentina would have perhaps developed much like in real life anyway - who knows?

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey YD.
It seems puting Perón in the tittle of the thread, atracts many to read it. May be no one posted because you mixed several different stuff in it.
Perón must have had lots of carisma; acting through the labour office (of the military and ilegal de facto government), it was his face what came attached to the wellfare-like rulings of the moment.
I don't fully understand what was that Braden guy (US embassador) doing in Argentina at the moment. If you ask now, nobody knows the name of the current embassador or a consul. But texts mention as something important, the motto Peron used for that campaigne: "Braden o Perón".
Yrigoyen, first ever president ellected through popular vote, was a very quiet or shy or reserved politician, that's why he was called "Peludo" (hairy). Any other president the country had had previous to Perón, were aristocracy born with speeches adressed only to the wealthy. Perón must have dazzled the workers and the poor with his talking.
That's in my opinion how Perón got to power.
How much support he had from the military junta at the time of that campaigne?? Can't really answer. I suppose full support.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
USA
Peron got in power by mobilizing the populist vote.
In this he got a lot of help from Eva Peron who had a lot of experience from this part in the society by being one o them.
I don't think he had much support from the military in his rise to power back in 1946, and that's because the military was neutralized at that point after his original arrest and subsequent release by actions effected from Eva Peron who mobilized the masses against this action.
I also don't think he ever had the majority of the military in subsequent years, proven by following dictatorships and coups attempted!

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Normally we moderators discourage the revival of long-dead threads. I'm going to make an exception in this case on the grounds that there were so few posts prior to today. Historumites should be aware that maTiasddsm and YD-CSL have not been active on the site recently and probably will not answer any questions directed at them. Courtesy therefore demands that no one quote them or criticize their posts since they can not defend themselves. Apollon is fair game since we can reasonably expect him to revisit this thread in the near future and answer any questions directed at him.

Reactions: peccavi and Olleus