Person of the Year 2019

Status
Closed
Feb 2019
Thrace
A 16 year old girl is favorite to win Times Person of the Year according to nicerodds. I only found out about her now

Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia

At any rate, while I admire her courage and prodigious eloquence (English being her 2nd language), I don't agree with her winning the award. Times does a terrible job in general with this award, so I was wondering who would be sensible choice for this year w/o the media bias involved, early as it may be to speculate in July. I've been pretty ignorant of world affairs this year and off of the top of my head, I can't single out any major breakthrough in science (surely there were some significant discoveries like every year).

Suppose it would be your job to nominate someone, who would that be?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
You realise that the Times Person of the Year is the person who has had the biggest impact on the world, for good or for bad, NOT the most meritorious person.

Hitler was Man of the Year in 1938, followed by Stalin in 1939. Ayatollah Khomeini was Man of the Year in 1979.

Feb 2019
Thrace
You realise that the Times Person of the Year is the person who has had the biggest impact on the world, for good or for bad, NOT the most meritorious person.

Hitler was Man of the Year in 1938, followed by Stalin in 1939. Ayatollah Khomeini was Man of the Year in 1979.
And Greta was the most influential?

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
The President of the U.S.A. drove many of the changes we experienced in 2019. Rarely in modern times has an individual "shaken-up" so many governments, alliances, and been the focus for so much world attention by ordinary people around the world. He has driven a wedge between Americans young and old along racial fault-lines. He unfortunately typifies the behavior of historical tyrants armed with powers the Congress ceded to the Executive Branch over at least the past century. Personally I loath the man, but make no mistake about it ... in 2019, Trump made clear that his vision of the world appeals to many, both in this country and around the world.

Reactions: Jax

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
The President of the U.S.A. drove many of the changes we experienced in 2019. Rarely in modern times has an individual "shaken-up" so many governments, alliances, and been the focus for so much world attention by ordinary people around the world. He has driven a wedge between Americans young and old along racial fault-lines. He unfortunately typifies the behavior of historical tyrants armed with powers the Congress ceded to the Executive Branch over at least the past century. Personally I loath the man, but make no mistake about it ... in 2019, Trump made clear that his vision of the world appeals to many, both in this country and around the world.
Please, let's refrain from the current politics, shall we Ash?

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
I accept responsibility, and will now take my two weeks off with pleasure. How's that suit, you old maniac? :smirk:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Personally, while I am sympathetic with Greta's point, I disagree with her "it's all the adults' fault" message.

I wonder how many of these "young people" are giving up their disposable fashion, plastic smartphones and other gadgets.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
A 16 year old girl is favorite to win Times Person of the Year according to nicerodds. I only found out about her now

Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia

At any rate, while I admire her courage and prodigious eloquence (English being her 2nd language), I don't agree with her winning the award. Times does a terrible job in general with this award, so I was wondering who would be sensible choice for this year w/o the media bias involved, early as it may be to speculate in July. I've been pretty ignorant of world affairs this year and off of the top of my head, I can't single out any major breakthrough in science (surely there were some significant discoveries like every year).

Suppose it would be your job to nominate someone, who would that be?
I didn't thought at her, but I find logical she's a favourite.

She initiated a movement that it became impressive in numbers but in significance too. It put on the front stage the youngsters, that we, old trolls, considered more like smart-phone's appendices than future citizens. They proved that this generation, as all youngster's generations before them, can have an opinion, can think at and believe in the future of their society.

As a kiddo said: "I 'm too young to cast my vote at these election, but I'm watching how politicians are reacting and what they're doing, and they should think twice, as the next elections I can cast my vote and I will".

And looking on how this year the climate had appeared on almost all political parties, it seems it worked: the kids did forced most politician parties to clarify their stance.

As useful as Wiki is, it's not always giving the accurate picture.

That page is a bit "thin", for a better view, a better view on how important the movement she triggered is, try:

List of school climate strikes - Wikipedia
Google Traduction

the "Youth for Climate" (the Belgian organistion) showed something very odd for Belgium: a national level organisation, co-founded by a Flemish girl and a Wallon girl, managing the movement together, managing to coordinate and bring together the Flemish and Wallon kids, week after week, for months ... " unthinkable" ... "impossible" if You ask any Belgian politician's opinion :p

Status
Closed