Person of the Year 2019

Status
Closed

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I didn't thought at her, but I find logical she's a favourite.

She initiated a movement that it became impressive in numbers but in significance too. It put on the front stage the youngsters, that we, old trolls, considered more like smart-phone's appendices than future citizens. They proved that this generation, as all youngster's generations before them, can have an opinion, can think at and believe in the future of their society.

As a kiddo said: "I 'm too young to cast my vote at these election, but I'm watching how politicians are reacting and what they're doing, and they should think twice, as the next elections I can cast my vote and I will".

And looking on how this year the climate had appeared on almost all political parties, it seems it worked: the kids did forced most politician parties to clarify their stance.

As useful as Wiki is, it's not always giving the accurate picture.

That page is a bit "thin", for a better view, a better view on how important the movement she triggered is, try:

List of school climate strikes - Wikipedia
Google Traduction

the "Youth for Climate" (the Belgian organistion) showed something very odd for Belgium: a national level organisation, co-founded by a Flemish girl and a Wallon girl, managing the movement together, managing to coordinate and bring together the Flemish and Wallon kids, week after week, for months ... " unthinkable" ... "impossible" if You ask any Belgian politician's opinion :p
Significant in Belgium is about the most that you can say about it. My kids don't even know who she is.
I think we had two "strikes" here as I could enjoy their company in the train. All of them really didn't have much of a clue.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The President of the U.S.A. drove many of the changes we experienced in 2019. Rarely in modern times has an individual "shaken-up" so many governments, alliances, and been the focus for so much world attention by ordinary people around the world. He has driven a wedge between Americans young and old along racial fault-lines. He unfortunately typifies the behavior of historical tyrants armed with powers the Congress ceded to the Executive Branch over at least the past century. Personally I loath the man, but make no mistake about it ... in 2019, Trump made clear that his vision of the world appeals to many, both in this country and around the world.
I mostly agree with this. The man created a new concept of “normal” and “normality”. The concept that a man could lie, be caught, dismiss and contradict himself and still gain votes and popularity was mostly unseen in mainstream politics. Now he have many pupils taking their tickets to be like him. From Bolsonaro to Boris Johnson all follow the new “normal” as wizard apprentices.

Even so, personally, I would prefer a person like Greta. After all “There is no planet B”.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I mostly agree with this. The man created a new concept of “normal” and “normality”. The concept that a man could lie, be caught, dismiss and contradict himself and still gain votes and popularity was mostly unseen in mainstream politics. Now he have many pupils taking their tickets to be like him. From Bolsonaro to Boris Johnson all follow the new “normal” as wizard apprentices.

Even so, personally, I would prefer a person like Greta. After all “There is no planet B”.
1563877105157.png

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Now he have many pupils taking their tickets to be like him. From Bolsonaro to Boris Johnson all follow the new “normal” as wizard apprentices.
It is ludicrous to compare Johnson to Trump. It may suit a European perspective to smear him that way, but it is utterly, utterly misguided.

May 2015
The Netherlands
It is ludicrous to compare Johnson to Trump. It may suit a European perspective to smear him that way, but it is utterly, utterly misguided.
He's not a pathological liar like Trump, but Johnson subscribes to the notion that you shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story. The red line running through his career is a remarkable lack of concern for truth or fact and the willingness to peddle untruths when they fit his agenda or can boost his popularity. A stage of normality hasn't set in yet, but his lack of accountability when he gets caught lying is rather disconcerting.

Reactions: Arminius

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
He's not a pathological liar like Trump, but Johnson subscribes to the notion that you shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story. The red line running through his career is a remarkable lack of concern for truth or fact and the willingness to peddle untruths when they fit his agenda or can boost his popularity. A stage of normality hasn't set in yet, but his lack of accountability when he gets caught lying is rather disconcerting.
Stop watching Jinek and reading the NRC

Reactions: Iraq Bruin

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Well, he is much more intelligent and educated than the current USA president. Often it is discomfortable and odd to see the current USA president ignorance. For instance in the recent reception in the Oval Office of Nadia Murad and other refuges.

On that perspective it is good to see an intellectual, or almost intelectual, among the populists. But don’t Forget that he is British, European, so don’t know how what I said “may suit a European perspective to smear him”. Probably you are referring the EU.

But my comparison was in the part that you didn’t quote: “The man created a new concept of “normal” and “normality”. The concept that a man could lie, be caught, dismiss and contradict himself and still gain votes and popularity was mostly unseen in mainstream politics”

Like Trump he is a populist, he is almost as a pathologic liar as Trump, his decisions seem often incoherent and contradictory, but that doesn’t matter if it reaches is short terms objectives.

A “meme” is rarely, if ever, an argument. But once and a while make us smile. In this case it is a sad smile.

He's not a pathological liar like Trump,
I honestly hope that you are right on this. Trump’s wave revolutioned completely the concept of truth much more than any paper entitled “History and truth”.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Well, he is much more intelligent and educated than the current USA president. Often it is discomfortable and odd to see the current USA president ignorance. For instance in the recent reception in the Oval Office of Nadia Murad and other refuges.

On that perspective it is good to see an intellectual, or almost intelectual, among the populists. But don’t Forget that he is British, European, so don’t know how what I said “may suit a European perspective to smear him”. Probably you are referring the EU.

But my comparison was in the part that you didn’t quote: “The man created a new concept of “normal” and “normality”. The concept that a man could lie, be caught, dismiss and contradict himself and still gain votes and popularity was mostly unseen in mainstream politics”

Like Trump he is a populist, he is almost as a pathologic liar as Trump, his decisions seem often incoherent and contradictory, but that doesn’t matter if it reaches is short terms objectives.
So does Trump lie more or less than your PM or mine for that matter?

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Personally, while I am sympathetic with Greta's point, I disagree with her "it's all the adults' fault" message.

I wonder how many of these "young people" are giving up their disposable fashion, plastic smartphones and other gadgets.
At the risk of instantly derailing the thread, they don’t have much to do with climate change, which I think she would say is the most important issue.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
At the risk of instantly derailing the thread, they don’t have much to do with climate change, which I think she would say is the most important issue.
But they do. Disposable fashion creates masses of CO2 emissions, and plastics damage the environment. Unless, of course, she doesn't care about the latter.

Status
Closed