Peter the Great - Reformer or Revolutionary sources

Oct 2009
Canterbury, UK
I have an essay to write on whether Peter I (the Great) of Russia was a reformer or a revolutionary.

I have my argument planned out in my head but I was just wondering if anyone could direct to any useful or relevant sources, preferably primary sources, which would relate to this sort of essay or debate.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
this wonderful podcast does a number of episodes on peter the great recounting his entire amazing life and all the change he implemented from episode 29 to 38. i truly was amazed by the man and the way he would work and eat with the common people and how he traveled europe in the great embassy.
Russian Rulers

Oct 2011
A reformer.

He expanded Russia's borders and set in many (rather strict) laws that imposed a new way of life, but his idea's did not radically affect the world. The main reason I did not pick revolutionary though was his failed policy of Westernization. He tried imitating Western Europe externally, without understanding the true reasons that they had prospered and left Russia behind. While he really changed Russia and it would not be the same without him, I believe his work was more with military, laws, and expansion rather than changing the mindset of his people.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
A reformer.

He expanded Russia's borders and set in many (rather strict) laws that imposed a new way of life, but his idea's did not radically affect the world. The main reason I did not pick revolutionary though was his failed policy of Westernization. He tried imitating Western Europe externally, without understanding the true reasons that they had prospered and left Russia behind. While he really changed Russia and it would not be the same without him, I believe his work was more with military, laws, and expansion rather than changing the mindset of his people.
his massive westernization i feel was successful but was later reversed under Alexander I and Alexander III who isolated russia and tried to completely bring russia back to its older style which through it into a lot of backwardness. but i guess your right in that his changes were more military rather then changing the mindset of the russians. yet he did open the world to russia and the russians to the world. russia was in fact still referred to in europe as Muscovy until that changed with the battle of poltava which effectively made the russian nation and showed the world that it was a real power.

Oct 2009
Canterbury, UK
this wonderful podcast does a number of episodes on peter the great recounting his entire amazing life and all the change he implemented from episode 29 to 38. i truly was amazed by the man and the way he would work and eat with the common people and how he traveled europe in the great embassy.
Russian Rulers
Thanks for your recommendation. I've downloaded a couple of episodes to listen to. Do you know of any primary sources or documents?