Peterloo (2018)

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Terrible. Be a load of leftist propagandist nonsense I bet.

I kind of know what you mean.

I really hope this doesn't turn into story about crowds of disabled black Scots/Irish feminist immigrants, cut down by posh English 'redcoats'. I'm exaggerating but it wouldn't surprise me if modern identity politic, and attempts to appeal to the USA market (who know little of and are not sympathetic toward English working class history), are dragged into the story somehow. Look what happened with Titanic. Peterloo was a very northern English affair involving English people, I hope this is clearly conveyed.

I also hope it isn't a Manchester love-in because, while it happened in Manchester, most people who attended the meeting, including the dead and injured, were from other towns and even counties (Cheshire). I hope it makes that clear.

I'm interested in how Edward Baines (junior) might be portrayed. He was the owner of the Leeds Mercury and on the hustings that day. He was pro universal suffrage but at the same time he opposed factory reform. Not a popular figure with the industrial masses, especially in the West Riding. Years later, after thousands of pro factory reform industrial labourers marched on York and then back to Leeds, he was burnt in effigy in Leeds city centre, the effigy was paraded around Leeds on a pole by the crowds.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the film all the same. i believe a release date has been given as early November

I found this computer animated film of events on vimeo. I have read loads about Peterloo over the years but I always got confused about the geography of the area and the sequence of events. The books can only describe the streets and where the multiple events in different streets happened and it was 1819 and even though I know Manchester pretty well, I still found it hard to imagine it at the the time, but this film gives you an excellent idea of what happened and puts you right there in St Peter's Field with the crowds.

Peterloo 1819 on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/156157535

Last edited:

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Most of the casualties were local Mancunians and one was actually a Waterloo veteran.

The 88th foot and 15th Hussars were there but the damadge was caused by the Yoemanry who being all local shopkeepers, businessmen and tradesmen were not the most sympathetic to the radical cause. But they weren’t out to massacre anyone either. They caused a panic and then panicked themselves. Most casualties were trampled and then the yoemanry tried to cut their way out. A massive cock up but not some sinister state sponsored class war nonsense.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Most of the casualties were local Mancunians ...

They weren't, not even a third of the dead were from Manchester.

Names of Fatalities at Peterloo 1819

John Ashton - of Cowhill, near Oldham
John Ashworth - Manchester
William Bradshaw - Whitefield near Bury
Thomas Buckley - Chadderton
Robert Campbell - Manchester
James Crompton - Barton - upon - Irwell
Edmund Dawson - Saddleworth
William Dawson - Saddleworth
Margaret Downes - ?
William Evans - Hulme
William Fildes - Manchester
Mary Heys - Chorlton
Sarah Jones - Manchester
John Lees - Oldham
Arthur O'Neil - Manchester
Martha Parkinson - Eccles
John Rhodes - Middleton
Joseph Whitworth - Stockport

There is also a list of names of the hundreds of injured and the majority, where it gives a home town, are from outside Manchester

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
An infantry officer charging with the horse?

And the 15th Hussars charging? I understood that it was the yoemanry that caused most casualties... the 15th charged to clear the way to “rescue” the Manchester yoemanry who were scattered and out of control?

The uniforms of the 88th look right.
The Hussars, if they are supposed to be the 15th do not look right. Look “generic”
Yoemanry uniforms look bang on.

Last edited:

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
An infantry officer charging with the horse?

And the 15th Hussars charging? I understood that it was the yoemanry that caused most casualties... the 15th charged to clear the way to “rescue” the Manchester yoemanry who were scattered and out of control?

The uniforms of the 88th look right.
The Hussars, if they are supposed to be the 15th do not look right. Look “generic”
Yoemanry uniforms look bang on.
Thanks for this info Edric. Interesting

I'm wondering about the still of a large 'shed' (room) full of power looms. Not sure this is accurate for the date 1819. Most workers would have been hand loom weavers or worked in a smaller factory, and not many of those would be run by steam power. Also it looks like cotton but not sure that would be more likely at these dates than wool or flax. To me, the trailer looks more like 1840's Manchester than 1819
Maxine Peake looking as miserable as ever. I know it's a 'massacre', but I hope it isn't too maudlin professional northerners type of thing. Don't want to be sat in the cinema bored senseless by a load of gruff humourless 'northern monkey' caricatures moping about all over the shop

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
They weren't, not even a third of the dead were from Manchester.

Names of Fatalities at Peterloo 1819

John Ashton - of Cowhill, near Oldham
John Ashworth - Manchester
William Bradshaw - Whitefield near Bury
Thomas Buckley - Chadderton
Robert Campbell - Manchester
James Crompton - Barton - upon - Irwell
Edmund Dawson - Saddleworth
William Dawson - Saddleworth
Margaret Downes - ?
William Evans - Hulme
William Fildes - Manchester
Mary Heys - Chorlton
Sarah Jones - Manchester
John Lees - Oldham
Arthur O'Neil - Manchester
Martha Parkinson - Eccles
John Rhodes - Middleton
Joseph Whitworth - Stockport

There is also a list of names of the hundreds of injured and the majority, where it gives a home town, are from outside Manchester
Actually all those areas listed are in what is now known as Greater Manchester.......unfortunately :evil:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester

Last edited:

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Actually all those areas listed are in what is now known as Greater Manchester.......unfortunately :evil:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester
Yes :(
The problem with it being called Greater Manchester now (since the 1970s) is that people don't realise that GM is a county made up of large parts of Cheshire, and Lancashire, and Saddleworth used to be in Yorkshire. So in reality the victims listed were from three counties (at the time).

The trailer seems to show that people did march from other places to the meeting though.