Peterloo (2018)

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
If those Hussars are the 15th... they should have red shakos. They were issued them in 1814... but general new style uniforms weren’t introduced until 1820.
This is the latest official poster for the film. What do you think of the red uniforms? Call me cynical, but might there be some Braveheartery 'lets appeal to the cash cow American market' going on here?

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
There was a very interesting drama documentary on this on Channel 4 fifteen years ago (there's a clip on Youtube). Don't know if it's available anywhere else. I'm guessing that that will be more historically accurate than a movie.

Okay i know im replying to a year old post

Georgian underworld, released in 2003, it had episodes on Tom Cribb and Tom Molineou, Peterloo and Jack Shepherd

It was amazingly watchable.

Feb 2016
Japan
This is the latest official poster for the film. What do you think of the red uniforms? Call me cynical, but might there be some Braveheartery 'lets appeal to the cash cow American market' going on here?

Pretty similar. Probably a little too bright.... officers cloth would be that quality. Rank and file would have a duller brick red.

Last edited:

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Pretty similar. Probably a little too bright.... officers cloth would be that quality. Rank and file would have a duller brick red.
Sorry, I have only just realised you posted an answer.

Are these the Hussars? Did they wear blue too or is this the Yeomanry?

Last edited:

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Just seen it and I am in shock at how horrendously bad it is. I so wanted it to be good and I love this period, the ind rev, reformers and radicals, rise of the unions etc but this film is honestly insulting IMO

It looks cheap. What did they spend all the Amazon money on? Because it doesn't show in the finished product. The opening Waterloo scene is like it was done on an iphone in a back garden, with extras paid in pies and ales...and spliffs. Which would make more sense because half the cast looked stoned !

The dialogue is laughable. Whole scenes of 'eeehh put t' kettle on love' or 'pass me a a barm cake favther' type thing. Why? What was the point of these scenes
The labouring class are portrayed as either half wits or mildly perturbed clowns . They look too well fed and clean. The mills are more 1840's than 1819. Is the drilling (actually more a Chartist passtime) ) scenes on the moors supposed to be funny or tragic? Or did they just go up ont't moors and make it up as they went along?

The historical accuracy is BAD. Even the actual massacre !

The mill owner complaining that the 'scum' had taken the day off work? No 'Holy Days' for mill workers was when meetings were held

The petty and innacurate put down about neighbouring Yorkshire, shocked that Leigh stooped so low and why? It added nothing

Cartooon characters that you felt no sympathy for and became so tired of by the end, that you didn't care what happened to them.
Apart from the bloke who played Hunt, the acting was awful. The person I went with started to fall asleep.

What a shame. A missed oppurtunity

Feb 2016
Japan
Sorry, I have only just realised you posted an answer.

Are these the Hussars? Did they wear blue too or is this the Yeomanry?

Sorry. I missed this aswell.
That is the yoemanry who wore a uniform in the 1812 pattern Light Dragoon style I believe.

The Hussars would have had dolmens and pelisses. An older style tunic and a slung fur lined jacket basically. With white lace I think for the 15th. They had red shakos issued 1814-15, but may have issued busbies by Peterloo.

88th had yellow facings (cuffs and collars), and probably 1812 pattern Belgic shakos.

Feb 2016
Japan
Just seen it and I am in shock at how horrendously bad it is. I so wanted it to be good and I love this period, the ind rev, reformers and radicals, rise of the unions etc but this film is honestly insulting IMO

It looks cheap. What did they spend all the Amazon money on? Because it doesn't show in the finished product. The opening Waterloo scene is like it was done on an iphone in a back garden, with extras paid in pies and ales...and spliffs. Which would make more sense because half the cast looked stoned !

The dialogue is laughable. Whole scenes of 'eeehh put t' kettle on love' or 'pass me a a barm cake favther' type thing. Why? What was the point of these scenes
The labouring class are portrayed as either half wits or mildly perturbed clowns . They look too well fed and clean. The mills are more 1840's than 1819. Is the drilling (actually more a Chartist passtime) ) scenes on the moors supposed to be funny or tragic? Or did they just go up ont't moors and make it up as they went along?

The historical accuracy is BAD. Even the actual massacre !

The mill owner complaining that the 'scum' had taken the day off work? No 'Holy Days' for mill workers was when meetings were held

The petty and innacurate put down about neighbouring Yorkshire, shocked that Leigh stooped so low and why? It added nothing

Cartooon characters that you felt no sympathy for and became so tired of by the end, that you didn't care what happened to them.
Apart from the bloke who played Hunt, the acting was awful. The person I went with started to fall asleep.

What a shame. A missed oppurtunity
Oh dear. It was always likely that they would descend into one sidedness, cartoon bad guys, Disneyesque caricature working folk. That kind of thing.

Similar History Discussions