Philip and Alexander - ancient Greek corruptions of original, native, ancient Macedonian royal names

Status
Closed
Oct 2018
Sydney
Would alexander's men rebbel against a divine person?
The question is more accurately this: Would soldiers mutiny against a man who presented himself as divine? Yes, if the circumstances are right. E.g. Diocletian presented himself as quasi-divine, and yet he suffered rebellions. But the fact is that Diocletian was presented with divine attributes. So was Alexander.

Reactions: Openminded

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
All of the ancient greek blond-haired are not real life persons, but a product of a yearning for the golden divine. That simple.
“The biggest blind is not the one that does not see but the one that doesn’t want to see”, is an old Portuguese saying.

My knowledge of the Ancient Greeks (and Ancient Macedonians included here) is basic, even so it is reasonably good enough to know that for them the Gods and the Heroes and the characters of their plays were usually seen as historical. A part of their collective past. They represented them as an image of themselves. That means that some were blond and others weren’t.

To speak about the ancient romans is a different thing.
You joined them in the same bag, now that doesn’t fulfil your purposes you are separating them. Ok!

They were clearly admixing with the celts since time immemorial.
Source? I need a source for this “admixing… since time immemorial”. Even if by your brief presence here in the Forum, I can suspect that I won’t get any source. I suspect that you will deflect the issue, but maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

If I am wrong: Source, please give me one!

There is this existing differentiation between macedonians and greeks. Please respect that.
Yes, the Ancient Macedonians spoke Ancient Macedonian, that could be a Greek dialect or a language quite close to the Greek (don’t confuse them with today’s North Macedonians that speak a language that is a Bulgarian dialect or a Slavic language quite close to the Bulgarian). Because that seems to be your problem, or better, your Agenda, you want to link the Ancient Macedonians with today’s North Macedonians, and that link doesn’t exist. The North Macedonians are Slavic speakers that reached the area, the ancient Paeonia, north of the Ancient Macedonia, in a later chronology.

The consensus exists in the Academia the debate is between the dialect or an independent language, like today we debate if the Galician is a Portuguese dialect or an independent language.

How many arguments are needed?
We can begin with one. Just one.

Aug 2019
North
The question is more accurately this: Would soldiers mutiny against a man who presented himself as divine? Yes, if the circumstances are right. E.g. Diocletian presented himself as quasi-divine, and yet he suffered rebellions. But the fact is that Diocletian was presented with divine attributes. So was Alexander.
So, alexander was a man (self-proclaimed as god (not quasi-one), portraited much later as being blond, hence a barbarian.

A blond or redhead tyrant with freckles ruled over syracuse. And the most important source on him mentiones a dreamt zeus.

Don't compare ancient greece and ancient rome.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Sydney
So, alexander was a man, portraited much later as being blond, hence a barbarian.
This statement has already been refuted. Alexander was represented as divine, and Greeks could be described/depicted as blond anyway (thus the example of Dionysius).

Don't compare ancient greece and ancient rome.
I will, because they are closely related civilizations and because the logic holds, and the fact that Alexander was represented as divine stands unchallenged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Openminded
Aug 2019
North
“The biggest blind is not the one that does not see but the one that doesn’t want to see”, is an old Portuguese saying.

My knowledge of the Ancient Greeks (and Ancient Macedonians included here) is basic, even so it is reasonably good enough to know that for them the Gods and the Heroes and the characters of their plays were usually seen as historical. A part of their collective past. They represented them as an image of themselves. That means that some were blond and others weren’t.

You joined them in the same bag, now that doesn’t fulfil your purposes you are separating them. Ok!

Source? I need a source for this “admixing… since time immemorial”. Even if by your brief presence here in the Forum, I can suspect that I won’t get any source. I suspect that you will deflect the issue, but maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

If I am wrong: Source, please give me one!

Yes, the Ancient Macedonians spoke Ancient Macedonian, that could be a Greek dialect or a language quite close to the Greek (don’t confuse them with today’s North Macedonians that speak a language that is a Bulgarian dialect or a Slavic language quite close to the Bulgarian). Because that seems to be your problem, or better, your Agenda, you want to link the Ancient Macedonians with today’s North Macedonians, and that link doesn’t exist. The North Macedonians are Slavic speakers that reached the area, the ancient Paeonia, north of the Ancient Macedonia, in a later chronology.

The consensus exists in the Academia the debate is between the dialect or an independent language, like today we debate if the Galician is a Portuguese dialect or an independent language.

We can begin with one. Just one.
You can read the greek wikipedia, not a doubt about it. And you have a relish for the latest youtube videos about /against macedonia.

Sep 2016
天下
It's funny that the guy who started the thread about "historians" overusing wikipedia instead of proper sources refuses to provide his own sources.

Reactions: Tulius

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You can read the greek wikipedia, not a doubt about it. And you have a relish for the latest youtube videos about /against macedonia.
Is that an argument? From here it seems more a fallacy, since you don’t know what to say, you criticize some imagined sources that I have.

Please be relevant! You don’t know my sources until I quote my sources.

And well, I am still waiting for the source that I requested to you about the “admixing… since time immemorial”…

Aug 2019
North
This statement has already been refuted. Alexander was represented as divine, and Greeks could be described/depicted as blond anyway (thus the example of Dionysius).

I will, because they are closely related civilizations and because the logic holds and the fact that Alexander was represented as divine stands unchallenged.
Why does the main source about dyonisius mention zeus? Answer this using the first thing that comes to mind.

Where is the proof that the famous work of art (featuring the famous blondness of alexander) means that alexander considered himself divine?

Last edited:
Status
Closed