Philip and Alexander - ancient Greek corruptions of original, native, ancient Macedonian royal names

Status
Closed
Aug 2019
North
This statement has already been refuted. Alexander was represented as divine, and Greeks could be described/depicted as blond anyway (thus the example of Dionysius).

I will, because they are closely related civilizations and because the logic holds and the fact that Alexander was represented as divine stands unchallenged.
The romans despised the ancient greeks.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Why does the main source about dyonisius mention zeus? Answer this using the first thing that comes to mind.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I sent you a page of a book that states that Dionysius was blond. Why are you asking me about an irrelevant mention of Zeus??

Where is the proof that the famous work of art (featuring the famous blondness of alexander) means that alexander considered himself divine?
It's well established that Alexander was represented as divine. Anyone who has a reasonably detailed knowledge of Alexander knows this. Note for example that he regarded himself as a descendent of Heracles and Achilles, that during his lifetime he was pronounced the son of Amun, and that coins after his death consistently represented him with the horns of Amun. His example was also followed by other Hellenistic kings. E.g. Seleucus claimed that he was the son of Apollo, and Antiochus III had a cult established for himself in his own lifetime. By your own statement about blond hair and divinity, this all undermines your assertion that Alexander was represented as blond because he was a barbarian. To dismiss what I just said is to prove that you're governed by an agenda rather than logic.

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Sydney
The romans despised the ancient greeks.
A) This is irrelevant. B) This is incorrect. Some earlier Romans weren't fans of the Greeks, but most Roman aristocrats respected their culture and considered it integral to their own way of life. This is why all Roman aristocrats were taught Homer, Greek tragedies, Plato, etc. Scipio, Hadrian, Pompey, Lucullus and many others were philhellenes.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
So, alexander was a man (self-proclaimed as god (not quasi-one), portraited much later as being blond, hence a barbarian.

A blond or redhead tyrant with freckles ruled over syracuse. And the most important source on him mentiones a dreamt zeus.

Don't compare ancient greece and ancient rome.
So, Alexander was a man, portraited much later with horns in his head, hence a ram? Right?

Mar 2018
UK
There is this existing differentiation between macedonians and greeks. Please respect that.
What do you mean by "please respect that"? You can hold whatever a opinion you want. If it's a foolish opinion than others are equally allowed to mock it. But that isn't even what is happening here, people are engaging with your views and providing far longer, more polite, and more detailed replies than the pseudo-arguments you are making.

When you say "please respect that" do you mean "you have to agree with me or it's bullying?"

Mar 2018
UK
In real life it isn't so: I don't see any threads about Macedonia from 1991 until now and its being bullied by today's greece respectively. Please respect that.
What do you mean by "please respect that"? You can hold whatever a opinion you want. If it's a foolish opinion than others are equally allowed to mock it. But that isn't even what is happening here, people are engaging with your views and providing far longer, more polite, and more detailed replies than the pseudo-arguments you are making.

When you say "please respect that" do you mean "you have to agree with me or it's bullying?"
Once again, what do you mean by please respect that?

Aug 2019
North
Once again, what do you mean by please respect that?
There is a country that lies on the foundations that there is another Macedonia besides the "Greek" one. This has to be respect by the Greeks. If not, it will be clear that Greeks truly are Balkanians.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I suppose it is about a respect towards person's right to believe or not believe whatever religion he chooses / to not mock his religious faith?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
There is a country that lies on the foundations that there is another Macedonia besides the "Greek" one. This has to be respect by the Greeks. If not, it will be clear that Greeks truly are Balkanians.
That is not a question of respect. It is a question of fact that there is a country named "North Macedonia", as it is a question of fact that the relation of that country with the Ancient Macedonia was mostly a false construction.

Status
Closed