Phoenicianism and history

Jul 2017
Crete
They are documents from Elephantine written in the Phoenician language in the Imperial Aramaic script of Darius I.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantine_papyri

Herodotus 2:30
In the reign of Psammetichus, there were watchposts at Elephantine facing Ethiopia, at Daphnae of Pelusium facing Arabia and Assyria, and at Marea facing Libya

Ἐλεφαντίνης ( Elephantinhs)
- Metropolin of Aithiopia
- Ἀσμάχ (Asmax) " those who stand on the left hand of the King" (ἀριστερῆς χειρὸς)
- αὐτομόλοισι (Automoloioe ) "deserters'
- φυλακαί (Phulakai) "watchposts"
- Δάφνῃσι τῇσι Πηλουσίῃσι ( Daphnse Phlousihsi)
- The community were made of Carians & Ionians
- Elephantine was one of three 'Watch posts'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psamtik_I
The pharaoh (Psamtik I) 664–610 proceeded to establish close relations with archaic Greece and also encouraged many Greek settlers to establish colonies in Egypt and serve in the Egyptian army. In particular, he settled some Greeks at Tahpanhes (Daphnae).

When Greeks became merchants they became Phoenicians.

Mar 2017
Colorado
They are documents from Elephantine written in the Phoenician language in the Imperial Aramaic script of Darius I.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantine_papyri

Herodotus 2:30
In the reign of Psammetichus, there were watchposts at Elephantine facing Ethiopia, at Daphnae of Pelusium facing Arabia and Assyria, and at Marea facing Libya

Ἐλεφαντίνης ( Elephantinhs)
- Metropolin of Aithiopia
- Ἀσμάχ (Asmax) " those who stand on the left hand of the King" (ἀριστερῆς χειρὸς)
- αὐτομόλοισι (Automoloioe ) "deserters'
- φυλακαί (Phulakai) "watchposts"
- Δάφνῃσι τῇσι Πηλουσίῃσι ( Daphnse Phlousihsi)
- The community were made of Carians & Ionians
- Elephantine was one of three 'Watch posts'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psamtik_I
The pharaoh (Psamtik I) 664–610 proceeded to establish close relations with archaic Greece and also encouraged many Greek settlers to establish colonies in Egypt and serve in the Egyptian army. In particular, he settled some Greeks at Tahpanhes (Daphnae).

When Greeks became merchants they became Phoenicians.
OK. I understand the reference now. Thanks.

Ethiopia is a long way from the 1st cataract. Like about another 800 miles, but it's in the right direction. Elephantine is a lot closer to the border of Kush, which had on-again/off-again battles with Egypt. Herodotus probably confused countries (again).

What surprised me was the implication that there was a center of Phoenician culture at Elphantine. There was a guard post. That's not the same.

That last line is confusing. It implies "Phoenician" isn't any kind of ethnicity ... you're saying it's a category like "businessman?" There *WAS* a Phoenician empire ... it's height was 1200-800 BCE. What are you saying here? You lost me.

Elpidios the Greek scholar decides to get into the wine business. That changes his nationality to "Phoenician"? That doesn't sound right.

Jul 2017
Crete
They are odd parallels between Herodotus and Bible, for one
of the colonies is called DAPHNE.

Jeremiah 44:1 - Jews dwell at Daphne

Daphne
- Zaphnath Paneach * Genesis 41:45 - צפנת
- Phinehas * Exodus 6:25 - 1 Samuel 1:3 - פינחס
- Hophni * 1 Samuel 1:3 - חפני
- Tahpenes * 1 Kings 11:19 - תחפניס
- Tahpanhes * Jeremiah 44:1 - תחפנחס

This means that these stories are during/after the reign of Psamtik I
and the characters are Greek.

Here is a statue of Psamtik I

Greek Alphabet

In the Septuagint, Joseph is given a name, in the Septuagint this is Ψονθομ φανηχ
and why does it resemble Greek forms of the name Psamtik

Ψονθομ φανηχ (Psonthom Phanes)
Ψαμμουθις (Psammouthis)
Ψαμμι (Psammi)
Ψαμμεχεριτης (Psammexerites)
Ψαμμητιχος (Psammetichos)

Herodotus 7:89
These Phoenicians formerly dwelt as they themselves say, by the Red Sea; they crossed from there and now inhabit the seacoast of Syria.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Crete
I have resolved the mystery identity of the Phoenicians, they are Ionians
and the word Φοῖνιξ proves it.

φοίνικα "PALM TREE"

In Arabic, the word for a Palm tree is قَل‎ (Daqal) and this came
from δάκτυλος (Daktulos) which is the name-sake for Delos (Δῆλος).

One of the misconceptions about the word Phoenix is that it means "Purple"
and does NOT, the Arabic word for purple is أرجواني same as Hebrew ארגון
from the Greek ἔργων "Woven", a back-formation of ἁλουργῶν "Sea-Purple".

The Arabic word for RED, أحمر ( ahmar) from the word Tamar (תמר) "Palm Tree"
and this also roots Ἀγήνωρ (Agenor) and the Hebrew word for LYRE, כנור (Kinnor)

כנור (Kinnor)
The Lyre is made from the palms trees of DELOS, this is why the Island was sacred
too Apollo, who's main symbol is the Lyre.

The worms that live on the leaves of the Palm Tree, that are called תולעת/σκώληξ
produces crimson or scarlet red dye.

The Phoenix was RED (not purple).

Jul 2017
Crete
Herodotus 1:2:1 "Io came to Egypt"
Ἰουν > Αἴγυπτον

These Phoenicians formerly dwelt as they themselves say, by the Red Sea; they crossed from there and now inhabit the seacoast of Syria.

Red Sea > Seacoast of Syria

Did they go around Africa?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Herodotus 1:2:1 "Io came to Egypt"
Ἰουν > Αἴγυπτον

Red Sea > Seacoast of Syria

Did they go around Africa?

Probably, but Egyptians suggested to Phoenicians that it was possible to do that ... Phoenicians didn't look so keen to make such an attempt.

Jul 2017
Crete
They wouldn't have too if the Suez Canal was built.

Pliny the Elder, The Natural History 6.33
An attempt has been made to form a navigable canal to the river Nile, at the spot where it enters the Delta previously mentioned,4 the distance between the river and the Red Sea being sixty-two miles.

This was contemplated first of all by Sesostris king of Egypt afterwards by Darius, king of the Persians, and still later by Ptolemy II

Herodotus 2.110
Sesostris was the only Egyptian king who also ruled Ethiopia.

Herodotus 2.106
As to the pillars that Sesostris, king of Egypt, set up in the countries, most of them are no longer to be seen. But I myself saw them in the Palestine district of Syria, with the aforesaid writing and the women's private parts on them. [2] Also, there are in Ionia two figures of this man carved in rock, one on the road from Ephesus to Phocaea, and the other on that from Sardis to Smyrna.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
They wouldn't have too if the Suez Canal was built.

Pliny the Elder, The Natural History 6.33
An attempt has been made to form a navigable canal to the river Nile, at the spot where it enters the Delta previously mentioned,4 the distance between the river and the Red Sea being sixty-two miles.

This was contemplated first of all by Sesostris king of Egypt afterwards by Darius, king of the Persians, and still later by Ptolemy II

Herodotus 2.110
Sesostris was the only Egyptian king who also ruled Ethiopia.

Herodotus 2.106
As to the pillars that Sesostris, king of Egypt, set up in the countries, most of them are no longer to be seen. But I myself saw them in the Palestine district of Syria, with the aforesaid writing and the women's private parts on them. [2] Also, there are in Ionia two figures of this man carved in rock, one on the road from Ephesus to Phocaea, and the other on that from Sardis to Smyrna.

A part all ... why did Egyptians want to circumnavigate Africa? They were well near to Asia and to Eastern Africa [Egypt is in Eastern Africa ...]. This is something I wonder about.

Similar History Discussions