Photos: Then and Now, the Spanish Missions.

Oct 2014
California
27 Missions in Baja California.
25 were Spanish and 2 were after Mexico's independence.
Nearly half of the missions were moved at some point and a few several times.
Usually, the relocation was to a better source of fresh water and farmlands.

Ruins or intact churches are sometimes found at the multiple sites... sometimes the other sites had their own name:

Comondú Viejo/ San José de Comondú
Los Dolores/La Pasión
Calamajué/Santa María
El Rosario/ El Rosario de Abajo
San Miguel/El Descanso
Santo Tomás

Oct 2014
California
The first mission location to fail because of it being in a bad location was San Juan Bautista de Ligüí. Even the original natives it was to serve left and were replaced by another tribe who called the location Malibat. Ligüí or Malibat mission operated between 1705 and 1721.
More on the location:
https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/vanished_mission_of_ligui.php

When I visited the site, in 2017, flash floods had destroyed the area set aside with a cross as a monument to the mission that had been washed away in 2001.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
California
New Santa Catalina mission photos August 15, 2018

I had an opportunity to revisit the site of the last Spanish mission founded in Baja California, Santa Catalina (1797-1839).

I had previously visited the site in 2006. Since then, an archeological dig was made to the foundation base (under the melted adobe walls), a decorative wall feature was added just above the site on the hilltop, and the five-mile road into the nearby village of Santa Catarina was paved with concrete.

Photo by Lee Panich in 2007.

The next four photos are from me, taken last week (Aug 15, 2018):

Yes, I know... not much to show for a Spanish mission where up to 600 Native Indians lived.

An Indian revolt in 1839 destroyed the mission and the Dominican missionaries never returned.

In 1926, the mission site was charted by Peveril Meigs:

In 2008, using ground penetrating radar, it was remapped by Lee Panich:

Now, the THEN photos:

1929 by Lee Panich:

1949 by Marquis McDonald:

2006 by Me (David Kier):

Last edited:
Oct 2014
California
A photo credit correction: The 1929 photo was from Peveril Meigs. Lee hadn't been born yet! Sorry.

[Note to moderators: please consider allowing editing by the author of the post for corrections discovered after the short time limit allowed for edits now. Thanks]

Oct 2014
California
I will need to get used to this upgrade. I did choose to have the dark background off the bat. Thank you for your work keeping the forum alive!

Similar History Discussions