Pictures From 1955 Vietnam

Aug 2016
US&A
Obviously Vietnam didn't exist in 1955, but these are photos allegedly from in and around the area. The photos are placed in a book allegedly made in 1955. It was given to my mother in 1982. I have no particular questions about it. If it's worth something I'd like to hear it, but I have no intention of selling it. If people want to see it, I'll scan the pages and post them here. Or I could make a PDF or something and link to it. I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say about it.

One thing I must mention is that some of the pictures feature nudity. There are a few pictures of full-frontal nudity among adults and children, as well as women with their chests exposed. Most pictures don't have that, and I can censor them if the mods feel it would be too much. None of the pictures are sexual in nature.

This is from the German side of my family. There are lots of captions in German, but I can't read them. According to the letter sent with the book to my mom, the book was given to my grandmother's side of the family by "a traveler" whom they met during their trip to the area.

The letter says, "This book of photos from Juodo(?)-China and Cambodia, now Viet-nam[sic] and countries in that area..." Since I can barely read cursive I can't make out what "Juodo" is. If people are interested, I'll ask my mom if she wants me to post the letter here.

Last edited:
Aug 2016
US&A
what pictures?

what was it then, French Indo-China? ah those darn Frenchies.
It's a book full of photos from that area and time-period. People in traditional dress, buildings, landscapes, that sort of thing. The pictures are about 2-3 inches wide. They vary in size a bit but they're all quite small, with around 2-4 per page. The book looks about 15 pages long.

Last edited:

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Could be interesting depends on how much the captions identify as for time and place. Some parts of Indo-China were not well traveled but most of the heavily populated areas are fairly well documented.

Aug 2016
US&A
Could be interesting depends on how much the captions identify as for time and place. Some parts of Indo-China were not well traveled but most of the heavily populated areas are fairly well documented.
There seem to be a variety. The word "mois", with two dots on the i,is often captioned next to half or completely naked people. There are many such images. Saigon and Annam are often mentioned. There is also "pnom - penh" which I assume is Phnom Penh. "Toncin" might mean Tonkin. There are lots of pictures captioned with "Laos-Nung", which, again, I assume refers to the Nung people. Slightly more than half the pictures look like tourist destinations, but a few seem very rural, and "Hutte" is captioned with a few featuring, well, huts. I am surprised I can read as much as I can.

Some of the captions read:

"Buffel in der Ebene vom Toncin" (u has 2 parallel dots above it)

"Maidels rom Stamme der Wangs
" (first a has 2 parallel dots above it)

"Einen rom Stamme Mois ausgeseichnetim Kriege 14/18
" (mois is spelled with two dots over the i)

"Pagode mit Fiurer rom Budha"

The captions are handwritten and I may have made a few mistakes transcribing them.