Pinpointing the location of the flagraising photo over Reichstag

Apr 2018
India
I believe only the ones familiar (really, yes; vicariously, I don't know) with the Reichstag and surroundings.

I got uber confused on top of Reichstag trying to pinpoint the location where Pvt. Aleksey Kovalyov attached the flag (The photo, not the Yegorov-Kantaria business). My guess is that it was on the rear facade of the building (towards the left if one faces the rear facade, towards right from rooftop). The tower visible at a distance is, my guess, the one with EU flag today.

Reichstag_flag_original.jpg
G02XB9.jpg

PS - Can't upload my own snaps for reference. Filesizes too big.

Anybody knows for sure?

Attachments

Jan 2014
Portugal
I think the EU flag location is not the same, it somewhere in the other 3 corners of the building maybe. Because in that angle you could see Spree.
But I'm not very familiar... Many years since I've been there.

Apr 2018
India
I think the EU flag location is not the same, it somewhere in the other 3 corners of the building maybe. Because in that angle you could see Spree.
But I'm not very familiar... Many years since I've been there.
Spree passes by the Northeast corner of the building. This is the Southeast corner. Why I believe the location of the flagraising to be on this side is that this is the only side which has buildings adjacent to it (or nearby) as seen in the photo.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I got uber confused on top of Reichstag trying to pinpoint the location where Pvt. Aleksey Kovalyov attached the flag (The photo, not the Yegorov-Kantaria business). My guess is that it was on the rear facade of the building (towards the left if one faces the rear facade, towards right from rooftop). The tower visible at a distance is, my guess, the one with EU flag today.

View attachment 24600
View attachment 24602
The statues in the 1945 photo match up with the statues in the color photo. Note the near statue is bare-headed and has his left foot forward and is straight legged. If you look closely at the statues on the other corner towers they wear hats, or have a bent leg, or have both feet side by side, not one put forward. The building is also rectangular. We see three ornamental posts between the tower and the post the flag is mounted on. The short north and south sides of the building do not have that many posts. It must be either the east or west side of the building and the statues confirm it. Assuming the statues haven't moved, the 1945 photo was shot over the rear facade, looking south toward the Brandenburg Gate which is surprisingly hidden by intervening buildings.