Planned rations of food in North Korea - beyond horrible

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
According to Reuters and other agencies, famine has hit North Korea harshly. The answer is to cut food rations in half, to 300 gms per person.

North Korea Cutting Food Rations By Almost Half

North Korea warns of food crisis, slashes rations before next leaders' summit | Reuters

Am I the only one to whom It sounds so horribly? In besieged Leningrad, the dependents received 125 grams of bread. 1.5 million died out of hunger and starvation. A North Korean will receive twice as much. How many will die?

Coming from the Soviet Union, I can’t read about famines.

I hate communism, but the thought that 24 million people whose only fault is that they were born in Korea North of 38th parallel, might perish, is horrifying.

Statistically, one out of 5 North Korean kids already has stunted growth and development.

I have been to South Korea. Today, Seoul to me looked like one big Broadway. Koreans pride themselves on their cuisine, and for a good reason. It is fantastic. And being in that brightly illuminated city, it was so easy to forget about another Korea, above 38th parallel North, that is probably dying of starvation, and has no light.

That Korea became the buffer between the communism of its neighbor, or whatever you call it now, and the West.

So I know that communism kills, but are we to allow North Koreans just die out? Are there any rational ways to deal with them? Not everyone who is born in a communist country believes in communism, but almost everyone suffers.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
So I know that communism kills, but are we to allow North Koreans just die out? Are there any rational ways to deal with them? Not everyone who is born in a communist country believes in communism, but almost everyone suffers.
The problem is what can you realistically do. Virtually the only option left on the table is military intervention. And this has absolutely no promise of success.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
The problem is what can you realistically do. Virtually the only option left on the table is military intervention. And this has absolutely no promise of success.
It does not. And sadly, its big neighbor, China, probably has other plans for NK, otherwise it would stop to exist pretty soon.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
300 grams of what food? 300 grams of rice (cooked or not), 300 grams of carrot, 300 grams of chocolate etc? no matter which one, I'm sure still lower than the necessary 2000-2500 calories needed, just wondering, what does it actually mean...

Mar 2019
Kansas
It does not. And sadly, its big neighbor, China, probably has other plans for NK, otherwise it would stop to exist pretty soon.
The only way you could sell an invasion to China is to promise no change of the style of government. I do think a garden variety communist nation would be infinitely better than what they are enduring now. The chances of any western power agreeing to that is pretty low as well............................

Jul 2016
USA
How do you recommend you solve it? Their own govt caused that mess with centralized farming and then mechanizing agriculture while not having a secure source of oil, while forcing sanctions/embargoes on them because they constantly pursue aggressive foreign policy and building nukes, shooting missiles over Japan, etc. The people of North Korea are pawns to their own govt, helping them is not the international communities responsibility. We give them money, it goes to Kim. We give them food, Kim gives it to his army and tells his people it came from him.

Want to help North Korea? Help overthrow the Kim regime.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How do you recommend you solve it? Their own govt caused that mess with centralized farming and then mechanizing agriculture while not having a secure source of oil, while forcing sanctions/embargoes on them because they constantly pursue aggressive foreign policy and building nukes, shooting missiles over Japan, etc. The people of North Korea are pawns to their own govt, helping them is not the international communities responsibility. We give them money, it goes to Kim. We give them food, Kim gives it to his army and tells his people it came from him.

Want to help North Korea? Help overthrow the Kim regime.
Unfortunately, I suspect that North Koreans are unwilling to stick their necks out in an attempt to engage in regime change. After all, if they'll fail, it's a guaranteed death sentence for them. Who wants that? I certainly don't!

Mar 2019
Kansas
Unfortunately, I suspect that North Koreans are unwilling to stick their necks out in an attempt to engage in regime change. After all, if they'll fail, it's a guaranteed death sentence for them. Who wants that? I certainly don't!
To make it more interesting they use the three generation rule. So you, your parents and your kids all get punished. If you don't have kids it is you, your parents and your grand parents all suffer the same fate you do.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, Stalinism is certainly a cancer. :(

IMHO, the best move for the US-UN might have been to advance up to this river in the Korean War and then dig in defensive positions:

Taedong River - Wikipedia

This would have left a rump Stalinist North Korea north of this river, but it might have discouraged China from militarily intervening in this conflict. Plus, even if China would have still intervened, the fact that US-UN troops would have been on the defense would have increased their odds of holding their ground against Chinese attacks.

Similar History Discussions