Plausibility check: A Jewish Roman Emperor?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Only if you happen to believe in him my friend. Religion and it's enslavement of people is a massive mystery to me.

Besides, from my old infant school hymn services - this Jesus fella doesn't strike me as one interested in becoming a military emperor
I thought that Jesus's existence is generally agreed upon and that it's only his divinity that is in question.

As for him being a military emperor, please keep in mind that he could be in charge of domestic policy while letting his generals sort out military matters.

Oct 2015
California
Any potential emperors of Jewish background would come from the Army. Jews did in fact serve in the Roman army some served as auxiliaries to gain Roman citizenship. Tiberius Julius Alexander, a Jew from Alexandria rose to the rank of Praetorian Prefect in spite of his Jewish background and served as second in command to Titus during the Roman siege of Jerusalem.

Imo under the right circumstances especially in the 3rd century crisis, I think it was quite possible for a Jew to have risen to the imperial purple. All he needed was the support of his legions. And really in the 3rd century this was relatively simple to do. All you needed was the support of your legions, and of course, kill your rivals.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
California
Perhaps the real question here is what degree of deviance the Roman senate and army was willing to tolerate in their rulers? Elagabalus didn't tone down his Emesene religion enough and he wound up knifed in a box.

But really, you don't want my opinion. You want to hear from @DiocletianIsBetterThanYou.
A potential Jewish emperor doesn't necessarily have to be an actively practicing Jew, just someone with a Jewish background like Tiberius Julius Alexander. Worse comes to worse Christ, or Jehovah or Yahweh becomes another eastern deity added to the pantheon. I can see a cult of Christ forming with Christ being titled IESVS INVICTVS, son of Jupiter, Conqueror of Death, who rises from dead after crucifixion.