Plausibility Check: A large-scale exodus of Chinese from Southeast Asia back to China?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
One of the things that I found interesting in history is the idea of mass migrations. For instance, the mass exodus of Jews from Eastern Europe and the Muslim world after WWII and beyond, the mass exodus of Germans from Eastern Europe and the former USSR after WWII and beyond, the mass exodus of Russians from various ex-USSR countries after the end of the Cold War, et cetera. In turn, this motivated me to ask this question:

Is it realistic to likewise see a large-scale exodus of Chinese from Southeast Asia back to China sometime during the 20th century? If so, what exactly would have needed to occur for this event to actually happen?

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
They uprooted their lives to get away. The only reason why they would want to return is if their new life is even less tolerable than their old one.
How long is their history in Southeast Asia?

Also, what about China industrializing earlier, going totalitarian, and then going on a conquering rampage across Southeast Asia? Then, if China is defeated, anti-Chinese sentiments among the peoples of Southeast Asia could burst into the open so much that the Chinese people there are going to be compelled or forced to flee to China.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Very old . One of the main competition to the Dutch and Spanish Traders in South east asia were the Chinese.
Interesting.

I know that the Germans likewise had a very long history in parts of Eastern Europe--starting from the Medieval Ostsiedlung.